Crash. Wow. (Spoilers)

Sorry if this is a repost, but I just saw Crash for the first time...

Holy !@#$%^&*!!! what a great movie. Every single moment was emotional and awesome. I don't remember any movie ever making me cry in my life...ever. I cried during Crash. That Haggis knows how to pull your emotions out. There are so many infinite layers to the plots of this movie. I could go on about it forever. Racism, humanity, wisdom and our lack of it, the unpredictability of life....amazing film, and it portrays racism more realistically, from more perspectives, and in more diverse forms than any other film I've seen.

This is a subject I feel strongly about, and I feel like Haggis and the writers have the same feelings about it that I do. I hate it...but its unavoidable in our culture. Even someone who is totally not racist (or thinks they aren't) has to deal with the idea that everyone they meet could be racist toward them or their peers...or even think that they are racist when they aren't. Its an endless paranoia that's everywhere, and sometimes it can grow from nothing or even a good thing (the bad cops Dad's noble story). What an aweful thing.

This is a movie like I've always wanted to make. I, however, could never have written such a tight, complex, and perfect script. I can't get over it.

The story of the locksmith was my favorite and the one that made me cry, but all of the stories were great. Wow. Powerful stuff. Bravo! $6.5 Million to make. Excellent performance from the entire cast, including the green Ludacris. Your thoughts?

I thought it was a good film. I particularly liked Cheadle and Ludacris's performances. But I was unable to suspend belief for some of the scenes (the Terrence Howard pointing a gun at cops yet walking away a free man scene jumps out in my mind).

The scene with the Angry Persian Dude, the Locksmith, and his daughter was one of the best scenes of the year, IMO.

Good flick.

Poke

Last edited:
Poke said:
the Terrence Howard pointing a gun at cops yet walking away a free man scene jumps out in my mind
umm...I just saw it and the cops never knew he had a gun on him. They just knew that he was a "friend" of the good cop and the car was his. The scene was still far fetched, but they thought he was unarmed.

There are two scenes, the one with Matt Dillon at the car crash & the Hispanic guy & his daughter's Magic Cape scenes were so spectacularly done and with such emotional HIGH's, which are harder to achieve than lows. I loved CRASH.

LOGAN L Productions said:
umm...I just saw it and the cops never knew he had a gun on him. They just knew that he was a "friend" of the good cop and the car was his. The scene was still far fetched, but they thought he was unarmed.

Admitedly, I saw this film almost a year ago when it was in theaters, but I could have sworn that the cops knew he had a gun. I need to rent it, or better yet go buy it.

Poke

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. I found the locksmith/daughter storyline so compelling that I had to leave the room when the storekeeper arrived at the house. I knew from the start that the locksmith and/or his daughter were marked for something 'bad' to happen to them- the establishing scene of their relationship grabbed my heart and squeezed.

It's the mom in me I guess, but films with 'child in peril' themes really get to me. I often avoid them. Had I known "Crash" contained such, I would have avoided it.

And Poke, the guy has the gun stuffed in the back of his waistband- the cops never knew, although I kept waiting for him to pull it out and get killed. :)

I loved the Thandie Newton/Matt Dillon storyline too. Don Cheadle was wonderful, as usual, but this time with a largely unsympathetic character.

The one storyline I found lacking- Brendan Fraser/Sandra Bullock. I understood it, but it just was not nearly as compelling as the others.

Lilith said:
I saw this a couple of weeks ago. I found the locksmith/daughter storyline so compelling that I had to leave the room when the storekeeper arrived at the house. I knew from the start that the locksmith and/or his daughter were marked for something 'bad' to happen to them- the establishing scene of their relationship grabbed my heart and squeezed.

You left the room? So you didn't see what happened? I suggest watching the scene, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Poke

Oh, I know what happened. My husband called me out of my seclusion in the bathroom to tell me that it was OK. I did watch the scene again later too.

When they went through the invicibility cloak at the beginning, I felt they were really trying hard to set me up emotionally. And even though I knew it, I fell for it completely. Haggis does this to me every time.

Back