How realistic is the 'dream'?

I'm depressed. Uneasy.

I'm 24, friendless, and almost homeless. Literally all I have left is my filmmaking talent.

I've written countless short stories, directed multiple award-winning films, and have dreamt of a successful career in the industry since before my balls dropped.

I don't want to struggle for the rest of my life. I also don't wanna work as an electrician, a grip, an editor - I wanna direct. Not just that - I wanna write my own material.

As it is, I can see exactly where I'm headed in life: I'll take a few short films to local festivals, maybe direct an unprofitable feature or two, eventually expand my photography business - and then I'll die. There might be a few girlfriends along the way; hell, maybe even a fuckin' kid. But as it stands, I have no idea how I'll make the leap from low-budget indies to high-budget studio films.

I don't mean to come off as a brat. I love filmmaking, and being able to take part in any facet of the business is something I'd be grateful for. I just... I have aspirations. I don't wanna settle. I don't just want talent--I wanna be somebody. I wanna be Paul Thomas Anderson. Jarmusch. Aronofsky. Hell, Stanley fuckin' Kubrick.

Okay, that's a stretch. I just want success. I don't particularly care about having a recognizable name - I just want people to care about my work. All that 'buzz' crafted for Tarantino films, Spielberg films? I want that shit for my films.

It just seems so... out there. So goddamn unattainable. Like that one popular chick in high school you lusted after, day after day.

I'll be honest: I do have an opportunity coming up. A chance to make something of myself. I'd rather not get into the nitty-gritty, but I'll be receiving an influx of cash in the near future: a little over $200,000.

Most of it will go towards savings, some of it will go towards keeping myself alive for the next year - but I wanna use a chunk of it to make something: a damn good short film. Answer me this: let's say I cut my latest feature script down to 10-15 pages or so, and develop it as a short. If I spend my money on marketable actors and talented crew - and get into a major festival or two - will that improve my chances of raising funding for the feature?

This seems like my only shot at the 'big leagues' - I'm nervous as hell. First and foremost, though, I'd like to know whether or not this even sounds feasible. Would any marketable actor even consider a short film for less than $500,000,000 a day? No clue how high those rates climb. Even if I did obtain a fairly marketable name - let's say Rainn Wilson, for instance - would any reputable investor even consider funding a feature of mine?

I'm basically just repeating my title question at this point - how realistic is the 'dream'?

I'm calling BS, too. People who are working professionals in music, acting,
comedy, producing, directing, writing do NOT have to do "whatever
told, whenever told - no matter what". Most working professionals
do not compromise their principles.

I agree with you kid_filmmaker that “just believe in yourself” is foolish.
There are hundreds of thousands of people who believe in themselves who
never reach the level of the people you mention. But your statement that
if you want to have all the success in the industry that they have you have
to compromise yourself is crazy. People like those you have mentioned
worked hard and I have never heard of them compromising their principles
by doing "whatever told, whenever told - no matter what".

You sure have a cynical view of what it takes to earn success.
PS. Amen. Particularly that very last sentence.

I'm depressed. Uneasy.

I'll be honest: I do have an opportunity coming up. A chance to make something of myself. I'd rather not get into the nitty-gritty, but I'll be receiving an influx of cash in the near future: a little over $200,000.

If I spend my money on marketable actors and talented crew - and get into a major festival or two - will that improve my chances of raising funding for the feature?

This seems like my only shot at the 'big leagues' - I'm nervous as hell. First and foremost, though, I'd like to know whether or not this even sounds feasible. Would any marketable actor even consider a short film for less than $500,000,000 a day? No clue how high those rates climb. Even if I did obtain a fairly marketable name - let's say Rainn Wilson, for instance - would any reputable investor even consider funding a feature of mine?

I'm basically just repeating my title question at this point - how realistic is the 'dream'?

If your short movie script is really impressive , you surely will be able to get great names working in movie.
may be talented and also famous HUGH JACKMAN , comes from stage acting.
What if he agrees to act in your movie for no money, Will you be able to offer him script/story at that level
that might inspire him to accept your proposal?

Rainn wilson , hugh jackman will surely expect great story /script as deposit from your side.
Even seniors like AL PACINO would demand best script/story ,
INSTEAD of just good and better.
(I know, that all of their work are not best !!)

Once , it clicks...if so .. surely they might even recommend your name to become part of team that any hollywood production hires for their movie project.

And later you might surely end up as succesful guy in industry.

Best of luck.

Many of us are old enough to be your father, and we also have the dream.

Yes, it's unrealistic, which is why you should create a safety net even as you pursue your dream. IOW, get the proverbial day job to keep you going.

Good luck! :)

"We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

-Tyler Durden, Fight Club

I feel like when you say big leagues you mean Hollywood or something... don't focus so hard on that. Just get your material out there and get it recognized. Hollywood's not the only "big league" out there. That stupid GrumpyCat has made it's owner $100,000,000 supposedly. Look to the internet. Get your material online.

Back