• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to write this in Script format ?

Hi friends . I am confused a little and want your guidense. I want to know how to write the below line in my script writing software (CINERGY)

Tom said "Keep the door closed"

Jim imagined

The door is kept opened

Tom said " Keep one light on in the night"

Jim imagined

All the lights are off

Friends i am unable that how and where will i type the imagination in my scriptwriting software? Will i write imagination before we write the location etc like this

Int- In the bedroom-night

or

after we have written this location , Int details.

PLease guide me how to format this imagination thing in a script writing software.

May be it sounds silly and i am sorry for that

Regards

Last edited:
An imagination occurs in the mind. This is the biggest difference between a novel and a screenplay. To
show what is occurring in a characters mind, you need to reveal it through action, dialogue and/or imagery.

You could use Tom's voice as a voice over (V.O.) and then use pictures to indicate what Jim is thinking.

(Forgive the formatting - there's only so much you can do in the forum :)).

TOM (V.O.)​
Keep the door closed.​

Jim looks at the door. It's open.

TOM (V.O.)​
Keep one light on at night.​

Jim looks at the lamp. It's off. The moonlight through the bedroom window is
the sole source of shadows on this gloomy night.

Of course, this is spec format. A shooting script would break it down a bit differently with the individual
images depending on the director's vision.

A side note, you would not write "in the bedroom". Just write:

INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT

Last edited:
VPturner

Thanks for the support but the problem is that the scene i am thinking (or you should say the way i want to treat this scene) Tom and jim are sitting in front of each other......thats why i am unable to write it in form of Script

Sorry if i irritated you

Regards

As Vince said, unlike in a novel, we can't read what a character is thinking or imagining.. in film it has to be shown somehow. It could be done with Voiceover as he illustrated, or simply shown happening as if it really is happening, but with only one character being affected by it. There are some good examples of this in Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.. When Johnny Depp & Benicio Del Toro arrive at their hotel, Johnny Depp's character (Hunter S. Thompson) sees the pattern of the carpet growing like vines, up the walls, etc.. then he sees the desk clerk turn into an eel and attempt to bite his head off. Then in the next sequence everyone in the bar turns into dinosaurs, and we see him walking around looking all confused, and voicing over his experience -- then suddenly he snaps back to reality as he shouts "Tell me about the golf shoes!"

Here's an example of how this might work for your script....

----------------------------------

INT - BEDROOM - NIGHT

JIM sits on the edge of the bed, TOM sits stretched back in a lounge chair, facing him.

JIM​
Tom, how do you keep the demons at bay?​

TOM​
Always keep the closet door closed...​

JIM glances toward the closed closet door. Light begins to glow around the door frame as the door shakes in its frame.

The doorknob begins to turn, slowly.

TOM​
Leave at least one light in the room on...​

The wall light behind TOM flickers, momentarily grows brighter and shatters, dowsing the room in darkness.

Soft moonlight pours in from the window.

JIM quickly pulls his feet from the floor, hugging his knees

JIM​
And if that doesn't work?​

TOM​
Well, then basically you're fucked, aren't you?​

JIM blinks, and the room is back to normal, closet door unmoved, lights glowing peacefully in their fixtures.

TOM​
Man, that place really did a number on you, didn't it? You look like you just saw a ghost or something.​

JIM slowly loosens his grip, sliding his legs out before him, he crawls into bed.

JIM​
Uh.. yeah.​

TOM stretches, and reaches for the light switch on the wall.

JIM​
Hey Tom?​

TOM​
Yeah?​

JIM​
Thanks.​

Last edited:
VPturner

Sorry if i irritated you

Regards

You did not irritate me. You are an active and productive member of the community here, and you even have a Member of the Month title to prove it. No worries.

I guess I was confused because I thought Jim was imagining Tom's words and Tom wasn't in the room with him. That's a whole new dynamic that Will covered well.

Last edited:
Will

Thanks for guiding me the format. I was confused with it. I didnt knew how to handle the imagination portion.

Vturner

Thanks for being so nice to me. Actually the thing is that you all are professionals, working and working more hard then i do. SO i felt that i might make you think that i am a duffer who is not understanding anything and this thing might irritate you. Anywas thanks a lot to both of you for your support.

Regards

Last edited:
Back