• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How have you taught yourself?

Please, feel free to use this thread to share with others how you have taught yourself to write better.
Discuss any aspect you would like.

I'll start by sharing my limited experience and hopefully my thoughts will help others:

I was in a hurry to write when I began and did not want to buy books and books. I started out just writing, which is a bad idea IMO. This kind of writing will produce a story like "this happened, and then that happened, and then these things happened but they aren't as important as THIS which comes next..." and you get an episodic story that is like a laundry list at the end of the day.

Anyways, bad start. I realized that and started to look into structure. Naturally, I started by turning to the internet and free sources of help. IndieTalk (although I did get a Premiere pass), other blogs, etc. All of it helped, but wasn't enough. So eventually I caved and decided to buy a few screenwriting books. I looked up reviews online and took the information to the bookstore and got lucky with the two books I picked up. One is useful in answering every kind of formatting question I can think of, although the chapters on structure are very weak and not recommended.

Story by McKee was the other book I got and I must recommend it to anyone looking for a book on screenwriting. I have read the book 3 times, each time many months after I last read it. The first time I read it, the book was very helpful although it was deep. I reread it again and took notes on it many months later, and learned even more from it. Finally, about a year after I first read it, I read it yet again, this time copying notes on index cards for every important point I found. Later categorized the notes and put them in my screenwriting notebook and, while the process sounds anal, I really developed an understanding for everything the author was saying.

Right after I finished that, I picked a few of my favorite movies and watched them and took notes on each and every scene, start to finish on index cards. The point was to deconstruct the movie and look at it from the writer's point of view. I broke each film down into sequences then to see how the story moved in accord with the principles that I had learned from McKee's book. Extremely valuable effort.

I read two other books after that which were also important: Aristotle's Poetics and Egri's The Art of Dramatic Writing. The Poetics is a short work that anyone can read in a day, and the teachings are timeless. Aristotle's principles come straight from Sophocles, Shakespeare, Towne, Coppola, etc. Any mode of writing in any era and the principles apply.

The Art of Dramatic Writing is a wonderfully flawed book. Egri babbles on at length about nonsense from beginning to end, and a lot of the book is wasted pages. However, his thoughts on Premise are very much worth reading. If Story laid the foundation for what I know about screenwriting, Egri's ideas on Premise provided the missing link that fits everything together. Again, if you read this book, you will find yourself bored in long parts and wanting to skip ahead. But, the book is very much worth reading because when he has a good point to make, it is a very good point to hear.

Egri's breakdown of Ibsen's A Doll's House, McKee's breakdowns of Casablanca and Chinatown, and the discussions on Oedipus Rex in Aristotle's Poetics are invaluable. If someone reads those and understands what the authors are teaching, I think they will be in very good shape as a future writer.

----

Please, feel free to share your experience with others if you'd like.

Last edited:
I try to read as much as I can and study as many films as I can. I have certain interests in film, certain things that grab my attention and drive my passion to write, so I try to focus on those while at the same time keeping just enough of an open mind for something different to come along and surprise the hell out of me.

I probably study films more than I read, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Since my scripts still need some format editing I suspect it's probably not a good thing.

I hate writing, so this isn't an area that I can really post anything. BUT... would it help writers at all if they read a first draft of a script and then read the finished draft later? I am talking like major picture stuff here. To see how the script changed and developed. Just a thought.

I’m not a real writer, nor very good at being a non-one, but for awhile I pushed myself to be a little better by trying to help others who knew less or were stuck or needed an idea or some fresh eyes for a read through. I had a very cursory book of writing for screen that someone gave me on the subway, and have done the usual internet wading. I’d like to have more books on a lot of areas of film. I was trying to seek insight via a thread here about something I couldn’t explain, yet knew existed. Thankfully I saw a book of what I was trying to ask about, “100 most used film conventions” (or something). I’d like to know what is in that book and books like it. When you watch movies and TV and keep a list of little nuances and set ups and conventions (I guess), but no one else in the room has any idea what you mean or see, or why, then it’s like you are a little crazy. A Book of them would be good.

-Thanks-

I also started out with Story, then moved on to Save the Cat!, Screenwriter's Bible and Writer's Journey - although none are as good as Robert McKee. The most important thing is story, forget about formatting for now - I spend a lot of time outlining now before I start, and working backwards (start with a fantastic premise and then finale, and fill in the middle with the ending in mind).

I've also found that letting myself not get too attached to dialogue or scenes so I can scrap and rework them has definitely been liberating.

What helped me the MOST was reading produced screenplays and I'm not talking about reading 10 or 15. I'm talking about reading a couple of hundred.

There are numerous books on the subject... ALL WORTH READING. There are a lot of good blogs out there that add pieces to the puzzle.

Add to that mix a good solid structure and you will know more than most... Trust me on that. I do think that having a good solid structure BASE to work from will often be the most helpful to becoming a better writer of screenplays.

filmy

This is how I learnt... and still learning as I am pretty amateurish :)

I watched a lot of films and read a lot. This allows you knowing ways to develop plots, and also to have ideas.

Then I read Josh Becker's book "the Complete Guide to Low-budget Feature Filmmaking" which provides quite a good overview of all aspects of writing, producing, directing, filming... The most complete book I have read.

From his tips, and from reading and acting on scripts I wrote my first 2 short scripts. They were never filmed, although I might use parts of them in the future. For a 4-5 minutes film, I rewrote them about 7 times. And allowed people to review it, every review was a bit better, and allowed me next time to avoid the same mistakes.

Then when it was about filming we were joined by a semiprofesional camera man and editor.I learnt a whole deal from him. The editor and filming techniques opened a whole new set of possibilities. My first scripts were more limited in space, time, and FX. With current edition techniques possibilities are almost endless.

Once we were a bit more confident, we filmed our first short... it was very basic and we made too many mistakes. But we learnt a lot from it.

Our second, and latest film on our own was much better (not perfect, just better), although this time there was no need for sound or dialog. Still we learnt a lot about edition, camera usage, and lighting.

Our next project will be better I hope :)

I have a few scripts that have never been filmed, and many of the scripts I write now will never be filmed. It's like composing a song, at the beginning you need 100 bad songs to get the 10 you need for the album.

How have you taught yourself? Hope this isn't too long or boring... cause I am not famous (not an interest) and not a BS artist. So. In a nut shell. Read every day (read everything). Write every day (keep a notebook 'by you' 24/7). Get out there with film/video equipment and make something.

Me? Life did not give me the opportunity to follow my dreams of making movies back in the 1960's. But I read everything, watched movies, took film courses in college and played with a Filmo (Bell & Howell 16mm with turret lens and 200' mag) and for cheaper work I used a Bolex Super 8 Macro. I wrote mediocre scripts like 'Dreams, Nightmares and Other Illusions' and 'The Devil's Reservation'.

After doing short rock music (One St. Stephen) and fine art (Ohio Realist Group) gigs with some minor success and awards in the 70's and 80's, I started video taping fine art shows for cable in the 1990's (VHS to Hi-8 to DVcam) which led to event/wedding/music videography (hey, it paid for my equipment and let me win some awards -- also learned to 'think' on my feet with quick visual composition, camera angles, extreme lighting and audio situations). I am not rich and don't have rich friends/relatives so I advanced slowly with many hurdles placed in front of me (some of my own doing). Movies were always my first love.

I have always aimed at making 'stuff' and learning to 'not make the same mistakes twice' -- we all make mistakes and I made many. My first attempt at a feature (video based movie) was a total disaster. But I was fair with the cast, didn't screw anyone over and everyone had fun in the process. For better or for worse, I finished what I started, although I did loose my shirt and entire savings. Owning all my DVcam cameras, editing suites, lighting and audio equipment, I decided to redo the first feature (saving the best scenes and changing some of the 'weak' cast). I liked the very talented cast in the second version -- they gave 1000% (and if i get lucky in the future and do come into money -- these are the actors that I will go to first and pay the most for). Don't let a lack of equipment stop you from making a movie. You can find a way. I am a no/low budget guerilla with a bunch of ideas and cameras.

I did almost everything behind the camera (directing, cinematography, editing, audio, lighting, locations, casting and etc.) -- not for 'ego' but to LEARN (we are only as good as our weakest link). In the end, the weakest link of the second version was 'my' writing. I needed to develop better writing skills. Read every day. Write every day. Understanding the film/video medium is important (as a writer), but a weak and complicated 'story' with mediocre dialogue and pace -- in the end, story can be everything. For the past six years I concentrated on writing. Twenty-eight original scripts. Write. Re write. Polish. Re write. Polish. etc. etc. Then have a group read and start over when necessary.... (I still shot video 'shorts').

As the quote goes, "life is a journey and NOT a destination". So, excuse me for being redundant. Write every day. Read every day. Get out there with film/video equipment and make something. With a lucky break and some talent... you have a shot of going somewhere. But remember the 1973 song lyrics from Little Feat's 'On Your Way Down'...

Hope these brief 7 paragraphs help. Look, all 'art' production (film is an art form) is largely ego based and very competitive (due to limited capital). People can call you names while ridiculing what you do and how you do it. Hey, I been called many names but I am still standing and looking back 60 years, I have had a blast with life (as those that know me will tell you). Rule of mine, kiss no one's butt and never ask anyone to kiss yours, just do what you do and always appreciate the many that have helped you on your creative journey. Finish everything you start and start often.

Hope this helps someone (not rich or famous, but still LOL and making stuff).

I think the standard method is: read, write, read, write, read, write. Then rewrite, rewrite, rewrite. :)

Broad strokes, I know. Sorry.

There is truth in that. If you want to be a writer, you have to write.

But, just because one repeatedly tries to put a square peg in a round hole, doesn't mean they will get better at it. ;)

I assume I will fail. So I do my best. Then I become obsess. Then I still assume I will fail. So I alway come to the conclusion, I will fail, then I will do WHATEVER I feel to do wiht out taking care of the audience. Then I have fun.

So, I become better by having fun.

Fun first, don't try to be good, you are not and I'm not.

Have fun

Last edited:
What helped me the MOST was reading produced screenplays and I'm not talking about reading 10 or 15. I'm talking about reading a couple of hundred.

There are numerous books on the subject... ALL WORTH READING. There are a lot of good blogs out there that add pieces to the puzzle.

Add to that mix a good solid structure and you will know more than most... Trust me on that. I do think that having a good solid structure BASE to work from will often be the most helpful to becoming a better writer of screenplays.

filmy

Hi FilmJumper,
Appreciate to have the books list as well as the blogs list.

I am wondering if there are any FREE online books available ( if not downloadable, at the least , to read).

Also, I would like to see a sample script that is used by a Director ( I mean, I want to really see what it looks like, I suppose it will be talking about how the camera should move and what angle etc. as well as the set and props details along with the looks of the actors and whether the shot would be a close-up shot or a wide-angle etc. ).

I’m not a real writer, nor very good at being a non-one, but for awhile I pushed myself to be a little better by trying to help others who knew less or were stuck or needed an idea or some fresh eyes for a read through. I had a very cursory book of writing for screen that someone gave me on the subway, and have done the usual internet wading. I’d like to have more books on a lot of areas of film. I was trying to seek insight via a thread here about something I couldn’t explain, yet knew existed. Thankfully I saw a book of what I was trying to ask about, “100 most used film conventions” (or something). I’d like to know what is in that book and books like it. When you watch movies and TV and keep a list of little nuances and set ups and conventions (I guess), but no one else in the room has any idea what you mean or see, or why, then it’s like you are a little crazy. A Book of them would be good.

-Thanks-

Hi ,
That wonderful Book's Title :Cinematic storytelling : the 100 most powerful film conventions every filmmaker must know
Author :Jennifer Van Sijll

Thanks,
FutureSpielberg

FutureSpielberg,
There are many places you can go to read sample scripts on line for free. Do a search, you'll find places like script-o-rama, simplyscripts, etc. for free or visit and join zoetrope or greenwriter. org. As a screenwriter, one leaves the 'directing' off of the script. Just a polished story with character, plot points, dialogue -- three act play, etc. etc. and lots of white paper on each page.

BelangerRRRRRRR
I am not sure I understand your comments. As far as coping out by merely making a film 'fun'... for just the fun of it. I must not of explained my thoughts fully. Learning should be a fun process, at least it is for many (the people around me). If you are working on a low/no budget feature, you better make it fun for cast, locations and/or crew or you will be working solo, unless you are paying big bucks with a locked contract in hand. Plus. The more fun it is the more you do it and the better you get. I work hard at everything I do and try to not make the same mistakes in the process. I try to be 'great' not good. But 'great' can take time, (and 'great' is in the eyes of the beholder -- one man's garbage another man's art). Unless you are lucky, (in the right place at the right time) rich, have a rich relative or a foot in the door to 'name' talent (from in front or behind the camera) you may never get to the top.

I speak from my experiences, am not rich or famous, but my work can be seen by looking up my profile website (or read me at www.greenwriter.org) and what I do with camera and paper, it is what it is. Nothing more and nothing less. The question was "How have you taught yourself". I am being honest and straight forward. E.G. Read Everything. Write daily and keep a notebook handy. Have as many others read your material as possible and do read through. And rewrite and polish. Hone the art. Go beyond just reading books by Fields or McKee. Read everything. Fiction and newspapers. Think outside the box. Learn to research. If it's a chore (and not fun) you will get bored quickly and move on. Making a movie is very hard to do (especially with no/low budget... time consuming and there are no guarantees. BUT, if you love it and had fun in the process, there is no major loss and you have learned a lot. Not only about film and video, but also about yourself.

I first got into screenwriting because I was told I probably had the goods for it by someone fairly prominent. I sent them a spec for the television show that they are a part of, and he told me my writing was awful, what I was saying was good but how I was saying it was horrid. His advise was read 5 scripts a day for a few months and then try again. Needless to say 5 a day is next to impossible, but 3 a day I am able to do,(and still do other things). After reading around 100 I tried again, and that made the difference, writing the screenplay was a lot more instinctive afterwords. I have a few screenwriting books, but I find that I don't like the way they "teach" you to attack a screenplay. I feel that if I am worried what page I am hitting what mark, the spontaneity of script is lost and when reading it, it shows.

I say read as many as you can. Not only the great, but read the terrible ones too. Those are the ones I learn the most from.

Two books I really recommend though would be The 101 habits of the highly successful screenwriter: insider secrets from hollywoods top writers, and How not to write a screenplay: 101 common mistakes most screenwriters make.

Also if you want to be a writer, you have to write. Every day, no questions, no excuses. Myself I get up at 4:00 am EVERY DAY mon-sun and write till 7:00 am. Even if I stare at the notebook or my computer for three hours, I do it.

If anyone needs to know where to read screenplays.

Simply scripts . com

weekly script . com

Last edited:
I learned a lot from a guy named Ron Aberdeen, read some scripts on Zoetrope and pay close attention to other films.

So now when I get my ideas, I "watch the film" in my head and write it as I "watch it".

I'm already 45 pages into my next one and I've only been writing it for a week. Mind you, the re-writes.

Back