Now I'm torn...

Black Magic 4k shipping, with price drop!

Black Magic Cinema Production Camera (4k) is now shipping, and they dropped the price by $1000. Previous price was $3995, now it's $2995.

So... do I go with the 2.5k or pay the extra grand for the 4k? Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
Black Magic Cinema Production Camera (4k) is now shipping, and they dropped the price by $1000. Previous price was $3995, now it's $2995.

So... do I go with the 2.5k or pay the extra grand for the 4k? Decisions, decisions...

Thats awesome!! I wonder why it dropped so much though.

I don't see why you wouldn't go for the 4k if you have the capital to do so.

I'm not really a fan of owning your own camera either way - but at this price it's kinda like owning a souped up DSLR.

The only other decision might be lens-wise what you have and what you're happy to rent or invest into.

definitly a surprise, or not.. one would think they might introduce a 6k camera next.. but to be honest, the only thing worth upgrading from the 4k would be 60fps or more and a much much better battery life..

Yeah I dunno how long the BMCC has been at $1995, but when I started seriously looking (just a couple weeks ago) it was already there.

So, where I'm torn is that the BMPCC (4k) is the canon EF mount. All my existing glass is nikon. I ought to be able to get an adapter to use my nikon glass with it though.

Since I was looking at the metabones speedbooster that's about half the price difference between the two right there, and it wouldn't be necessary with the 4k camera. The big selling point of the speed booster for me wasn't the speed boost, but the focal reducer which basically made the micro 4/3 sensor behave as if it were super35. The 4k sensor IS super35 already. So, really at that point, I'm only talking about an extra $500.

I really like the flexibility of the MFT mount though. On the other hand, the only other thing besides canon lenses and my existing nikon lenses I can think of that I might ever really want would be PL mount.. and the PL adapter for the EF mount is quite a good deal cheaper than for the MFT mount.

Oh hell. I suppose I ought to just do it, yeah?

Presumably higher framerates might be possible already when they get around to addressing it and/or determining if it's possible. Would be a firmware update. As for battery life, I think it's fairly well assumed that one will use an external battery pack (v-mount or otherwise) at this point..

4k ought to be future-proof enough for the next several years. Even if they were to come out with a 6k or something, you're right, really not worth it. 4k TVs are just starting to hit the stores, and people will be on plain-jane 1080 HD for several more years.

I guess the global shutter makes up for losing a stop of dynamic range.. no more rolling shutter jello. Though the 13 stops of dynamic range on the 2.5k version is pretty rad.

they are making it harder to decide, I hated shooting with the BMCC 2.5k the battery was irritating, the SSD was an absolute killer, I didnt really like the image, but then once everything was complete, I felt satisfied and pleased.

Im set on the c100, but slowly other cameras prices are beginning to get better and get better features, Canon doesnt do much in terms of adding cool features. I hope they announce it will do 60fps/1080p that would be a god send..

I have the credit to do so.. :lol:

In that case I can't recommend any purchase, but if you were to... ;)

Personally, I would go for a PL mount, but then all my foreseeable purchase of lenses will be PL mounted lenses. I'm not sure you could adapt Nikon lenses to anything except an MFT mount, so if you're purchasing based on your current lens array, then the 4k cam might not be the go.

Personally, I would go for a PL mount, but then all my foreseeable purchase of lenses will be PL mounted lenses. I'm not sure you could adapt Nikon lenses to anything except an MFT mount, so if you're purchasing based on your current lens array, then the 4k cam might not be the go.

I think you may have misunderstood.. All of my current glass is nikon F-mount. Adapters are available so that will work with an EF mount. Adapters are also available so that will work with an MFT mount.

There are PL adapters available also for both EF and MFT mounts. The PL adapter for use on an EF mount is significantly less expensive than is the PL adapter for use on an MFT mount.

So, whether I get the 4k EF, or the 2.5k EF or MFT, I'll need an adapter for my existing lenses, but those lenses will all work on any of them.

Ok, I'll try to be as clear as possible here.

BM Pocket -- not interested, but: it has a Micro 4/3 adapter, and small almost super16mm sized sensor.

BM 2.5k -- Available in Micro 4/3 and Canon EF mount. Has same small almost super16mm sensor.

BM 4k -- Available in Canon EF mount. Has larger Super35mm sensor.

The other significant different, aside from resolution, is the 4k has a global shutter vs the pocket and 2.5k having a rolling shutter.

All of that said. My nikon glass will work on ANY of those cameras with the appropriate adapter. That adapter can be as little as under $20 (which it would be to use with the Canon EF mount).

If I were getting the 2.5k, I would get the metabones speedbooster because it is also a focal reducer, meaning it cuts the crop factor nearly in half making the 2.5k's sensor behave as a super35mm sensor. So without question that would be part of my purchase... I feel like I've said this already.

All of that said. I'm going with the 4k. Primarily because of the global shutter, and that I'll be able to use my existing lenses with it (until they're replaced by a rokinon kit).. that's a HUGE feature that not even the Red Scarlet can tout.

Back