Who's Your Uncle Genie, Baby?

Just for chutes and ladders. I'm your Uncle Genie Rick. I snap my fingers and your dreams will come true (movie/film/filmmaking related). Well, I won't do the work for you. And nor will the magic do the work for you. But we'll set you up, put your on your way, open the necessary doors/gates and hand you what you need to begin...everything signed and in black and white, like.

You have one or as many wishes as you want; I'm not a stingy genie. Maybe it's your dream project. Maybe it's on your bucket list. Maybe it's your big break. Maybe it's just the next needed step for you to progress in your desired career. Maybe your wish come true is something big and fantastical, or maybe it's more modest...a stepping stone.

Maybe you want to be accepted as a client of this or that agent. Maybe you want to be hired to direct Star Wars VII or Avatar III. Maybe you want to be Scorsese's DP. Maybe your fondest wish is to do the sound design for Avatar II. Maybe you want the greenlight to make that very personal but highly non-commercial film you've been working on...200 million enough of a budget for you? Maybe you want to write or to light or to score Nolan's next blockbuster? Maybe Warner Brothers and JK Rowling could hire you to do the art design or make-up for the next, yet to be announced Harry Potter sequels...your favorite genie will make that happen for you (and see that those sequels -are- announced and do happen).

Just to begin with something, I have no idea, just off the top of my head, out of so many things I might wish for, I suppose I wouldn't mind having a crack at directing one of the books I've liked, though at this point I would be woefully unprepared to do so...say, something like Barker's Imagica or perhaps one of Rice's...like The Vampire Lestat or Blackwood Farm...hmmm. Of course, more than that, I suppose, I would like something that I write to be produced...filmed by others, but I would get final say, full control, heheh, which doesn't happen, I know, the writer calling the shots, but who's the genie here? Or, R.S. could let me write the Prometheus sequels? =D

So, how can Uncle Genie do ya? Don't be afraid. Or, perhaps, you should be afraid. What do they say? Be careful what you...

Anyway, remember...dreamin' is free. =)

My first thought is I'd like the budget to the Hollywood Strings/Brass/Woodwinds libraries. Can't afford them, but digging the sound and would be the next step over what I'm using now. Of course, if we're going for total fantasy, I'd have a real orchestra to record my scores anyway.

So then, I'd like a tv series based on Charles de Lint's Newford books, with me doing score. And possibly Ghost Estate songs to appear within. Ridley Scott to not do a sequel/remake of Legend, but another film in the same style/world, and me to do music.

Oh, and if you're doing Imagica, I want in on that too!

It's not too late for another Star Trek: TNG movie! I wanna bring back the entire Enterprise crew. Well, almost the entire crew. RIP, Data. :tear:

Also, I've got a coming-of-age movie, set in an epic historical location, that would be very personal for me to make. I'll need about $100mil.

And last but not least, I'd love for one of my films to get the Spielberg treatment, so that I may learn from the best (a la Abrams/Spielberg, in Super 8).

Oh, and if you're doing Imagica, I want in on that too!

Yes!!!!! Let's do it.

Huh...what...Data is dead? What the... ? When did he die?
[Edit: looks like I better block that out, just in case]

I wanna see that TNG film. Heheh, just happened to be watching Excalibur last night after a looooong time. When I was a kid we didn't have your LOTRs...we had things like Excalibur. Leondegrance!!! Pretty cool to see Stewart pop up in different scifi and fantasy films. You'd be working against the odd numbers curse. Or do we count Abram's film as number 11? Anyway, you'd break it!

I was thinking about it, and I realized that possibly my first wish maybe ought to be making Frank Miller's Ronin --probably my all time favorite comic book. Why hasn't this been made already? Oh, it's already attached to Sylvain White. :( Oh well, sounds like he cares about it, and that's very cool. I'll just be happy if he/they really make it, and really make it awesome. Already a fairly old article, though. Hmmmmm.

Comic Vine: Frank Miller's RONIN Movie Still On. And THE LOSERS director is still attached...

sronin.png

Oh, I hope there's nothing unseemly about granting myself wishes too. ;)

Last edited:
I thought this was going to be a very simple question to answer.

A few days later... I guess I'm not really sure what I want. :no:

Well, if we're talking about things only a genie could provide I'd go for the backing to do a large-scale production of Jack Womak's Dryco series - although I could see that easily turning into one of those 'be careful what you wish for' situations...

Ohhhhhh, interesting! I had to look Jack Womak up. Hmmm, looks like I'll have to deal with Bruce Willis to make this happen. :hmm:

Hey, Uncle Genie, I'm still waiting for the call from Kevin Smith. I understand that you're busy and Kevin has had a lot to deal with since Sandy, but I have been patient and I'm still waiting. So, um, any ETA on the phone call?

Hey, Uncle Genie, I'm still waiting for the call from Kevin Smith. I understand that you're busy and Kevin has had a lot to deal with since Sandy, but I have been patient and I'm still waiting. So, um, any ETA on the phone call?

Oh no, no, no, no, no...I've always feared the day they'd realize I was a fraud. God, please just another day, Lord, please...give me more time, have mercy...Lord, I beg you.

Oh, hey, Lucky, yeah, um, this is really embarrassing but, ya know, I've been tryin to wiggle my nose and all that, you know, make that happen, but, God, this embarrassing, but, I'm a little under the weather, I guess...well, it's just not working like it's supposed to. I'm taking something for it, but uh...guess it hasn't kicked in yet... You know, they say this happens to every genie once in a while. It's normal. That's what they say.

Or is it: cross my arms, nod my head, and all that? Ohhhh, man! I'm such a damn, stupid fraud!

So, I been callin Kevin, ya know, get things done the old fashioned way, right? Anyway, his secretary keeps givin me the runaround, ya know, telling me he'll call, he's busy, have patience. I told her I'm a genie and all that, and how someone's waiting on me, and how important it is, how broken your heart will be, all that, so she knows how important it is. I'm sure she told Kevin. I don't know. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he calls....

I read CF's comment and thought, 'Oh no, spoiler!' Immediately afterwards, I thought, 'Nah... old news...'

Till I scrolled down to richy's comment :no:

Oh my gosh, did he die in Nemesis? See, that's how bad I am. Shame on me. I didn't care much for Nemesis, so, I haven't seen it since, like, when it came out. I can hardly believe I forgot something like that, though. Maybe I've been blocking it out.

Last edited:
Back