can you get your film in indie theatres by digital communication?

It's probably a good idea. If you can get distribution, this whole discussion becomes moot, right? Does it mean it's a waste of time discussing this any further?

Well no one ever made 6 figures getting their film in theatres across the countryon their own one by one

Depends on your definition of success and your goals. I've read a number of case studies in where the filmmaker was happy with the results. Most of those were 6 or 7 figures. So I guess that's a success, right?

If you really want to know, google for case studies on self distribution. I'm sure you'll find something. Not sure how relevant it'll be to your film. You'll have to make that determination.

Larger distributors have more leverage to ensure a better chance of payment. It's part of the reason to get reputable distribution. There are of course downsides. Some of them are significant.

Well no one ever mad 6 figures gettin their film in theatres on their own. One by one across the county

I would probably email them a link or private link to your trailer. Then see if they are interested in seeing the whole film before you just send it to them. Try to set up a meeting or something.

no i'm going to try to get a distributor. no point in doing 10 times the work for 10 times less success.
Well no one ever mad 6 figures gettin their film in theatres on their own.

Not sure I understand, are you saying there's no point in finding a commercial distributor and that there's no decent money to be made self distributing to cinemas? If so, that seems to rule out the possibility of a successful theatrical feature under any conditions, which patently is not true.

sorry not good with tech stuff

Home computers are designed to play a wide variety of consumer video formats. Cinemas on the other hand are designed to play commercial films, not consumer format videos! You're either going to need to get good with the "tech stuff" or employ people who are, otherwise: A. Your film simply won't be screenable in a cinema, B. Even if it will actually play, it probably won't look or sound how you expected/designed it and/or C. It won't meet the quality expectations of a paying theatrical audience.

It all depends on what and why.

I've worked in post for over 20 years and I've never seen anything which was shot or edited at 30fps.

G

Not sure I understand, are you saying there's no point in finding a commercial distributor and that there's no decent money to be made self distributing to cinemas? If so, that seems to rule out the possibility of a successful theatrical feature under any conditions, which patently is not true.

Home computers are designed to play a wide variety of consumer video formats. Cinemas on the other hand are designed to play commercial films, not consumer format videos! You're either going to need to get good with the "tech stuff" or employ people who are, otherwise: A. Your film simply won't be screenable in a cinema, B. Even if it will actually play, it probably won't look or sound how you expected/designed it and/or C. It won't meet the quality expectations of a paying theatrical audience.

I've worked in post for over 20 years and I've never seen anything which was shot or edited at 30fps.

G
your definition of self distribution and what i explained either i think are different. Grass roots success for either would be hard for you to name someone who's done it. I what i was talking about is getting it in indie cinemas by myself throughout north america and having success has not been done. I could have if not for the rental fees

Unless you've got a marketing budget and a skilled marketer, I'd focus on VOD sales. That seems to be the most popular thing for low budget indie filmmakers to do these days.

I actually got theatrical distribution, on a very small scale, for my tiny-budget feature. I didn't have to pay a fee to the theater. So, hooray for that! However, I didn't have a budget for marketing, nor do I have a marketer, nor do I personally have even the slightest bit of skills as a marketer.

Not surprisingly, attendance was very low for the one-week-long, one theater run. Of course all my friends and coworkers showed up, but not many people outside of that.

Perhaps a local 2nd-run theater might be interested in screening yours? If not, maybe you could use crowdfunding to raise the money to rent a theater?

Best of luck!

your definition of self distribution and what i explained either i think are different.

I'm not making any definition of theatrical self distribution, I'm merely pointing out that you stated no one can make good money self distributing AND "no i'm going to try to get a distributor. no point in doing 10 times the work for 10 times less success.". The only way both of your statements can be true is if no "grass roots" filmmakers ever make decent money (regardless of self or commercial distribution). As there are examples of indie filmmakers who have made decent money from theatrical runs, one of your statements must be false.

G

I'm not making any definition of theatrical self distribution, I'm merely pointing out that you stated no one can make good money self distributing AND "no i'm going to try to get a distributor. no point in doing 10 times the work for 10 times less success.". The only way both of your statements can be true is if no "grass roots" filmmakers ever make decent money (regardless of self or commercial distribution). As there are examples of indie filmmakers who have made decent money from theatrical runs, one of your statements must be false.

G

Your making something out of nothing. i didnt say that. I said no ones e ver done it the way i wasasking to see if it was possible. And we also probably have different ideas of success.
Regardless since no ones done it the way i was asking and cant be done there 's no point of this convo

might be kind of a silly question but, why is it that nothing is ever shot or edited at 30fps? I would have thought the higher the better.

Not a silly question but I don't understand why you would think a higher frame rate is better. The frame rate of commercial media is fixed. Cinema is 24fps, standard def TV and DVD is 25fps or 29.97fps (depending on your part of the world), BluRay is 23.97fps, HDTV is in effect usually the same frame rate as SD TV. Filming at 30fps or any other non-standard commercial frame rate would need to be converted to the required commercial media rate and conversions are always avoided if possible as it can cause various unwanted problems. The only time footage is shot at higher than standard frame rates as far as I'm aware is if it is to be slowed down, IE., a slow-mo effect. But then of course it's only shot at a higher frame rate, during editing it's slowed down to a standard rate.

G

frame rate is not fixed, its a debatable topics,
in old days when all projectors are film projectors, they found on 24Fps sound & film(Video) sync together most accurately.

But Now when most of projectors are digital it is possible to play higher frame rate by upgrating firmware of projectors.

The Hobbit - Shot, edit & projected on 48fps on many screens is example of this.
according to Peter Jackson & team 48fps is more close to reality and quality improved a lot.

But Now when most of projectors are digital it is possible to play higher frame rate by upgrating firmware of projectors.

That depends on the projector. Only a small proportion of the world's screens can project 48fps and extremely few films employ that frame rate. Without going into the rare exceptions and for maximum compatibility, it's currently best practice to consider cinema as a fixed rate at 24fps.

G

Back