• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

DO you like this Topic

Ok guys, i was wondering what you guys think before I started writing. How much do you guys enjoy viking/ roman action movies? I just started writing one(I wont tell you the idea) and its going to be kinda of an action/adventure story and wanted to know if people are still into those kinds of movies. Its an escape while not dieing kind of thing, he's taken and years later he tries to escape back to his people with a secret, blah blah blah kind of thing. i tried being original and since i haven't seen any viking movie lately, besides OUTLANDER and another one I forget what its called so what do you thing of the genre really. There's no point in writing something the people dont want to watch right?

Do you mean Viking AND Roman movies, or Viking OR Roman movies? Because (historians correct me) the Romans AND the Vikings were centuries apart. On the other hand, the Germanic tribes DID kick Rome's efete seven-hilled arses, more than once. Those just weren't "vikings" per se, I think.

Now, do you mean "Gladiator" movies, Johnny? Have you ever seen a grown man NAKED, etc? (Y'know, the famous scene in AIRPLANE etc)

I dunno about 'genre' but I bet if you can write anything that makes the movie guys see another GLADIATOR ... ka-chiing! I'm thinking THE 13th WARRIOR (am I remembering the title right?) made worthy box office dollar$ too. The "sword&sandal" swashbucklers used to be huge in the 50's ... and if what goes around comes around, maybe those are due for a comeback? CONAN was big ...

I mean, who would've thought PIRATE movies would be huge again (at least that one Pirates of the C. franchise, but what was BIGGER?)

World don't need another cop movie, imo.

So I won't be the one to poo-poo your good thing! Write what inspires you

My suggestion would be: choose your TONE carefully. There's not a huge FAN BASE waiting for a Viking movie, maybe, but catch the right tone, make it "cool" to modern audiences and you're home.

Who wouldah thought GLADIATOR would work?
Or 300?

Be the 100th COP movie someone sees that week ... or the ONE Viking movie.

Viking stuff might lend itself more to FANTASY. No one will buy a Roman running into a dragon ... but a VIKING can stumble into any weirdness. Vikings are "other" ...

I like historically accurate movies about Romans and Vikings. Now, "The 300" was an exception because it wasn't suppossed to be historically accurate, but rather based off of Marvel comics, so the weird stuff was ok to me. So, if you're going to make historical movies, first determine if it will be fantasy like (the 300, Conan, etc) or more historically accurate (a little like Gladiator was), but this is just my opinion. We don't see many Viking movies because I think thery are still a mystery. I like movies that have a different twist and theme, like the Last Samuri where you can actually feel personal dilemmas. I loved the HBO series Rome because it was a little more accurate than most era movies/series I've seen. You can get away with more if it's meant to be a Fantasy/Adventure and might be more entertaining. For history freaks like me, nothing ruins a movie more than having a historical mistake, unless it's suppossed to be a fantasy anyway in which case, it's understood, anything goes for entertainment value. Just my 2 cents.

Ok you are right, what I ment was not Viking but Gauls and other barbarians of the Roman era. i thought about it and Viking and Rome were centuries apart. So yea do people still enjoy it. If you have seen the movie King Arther, the newer one, thats what I mean by barabarians people. These are bearded loosers with axes that rape and kill(similiar to viking!)

There's no point in writing something the people dont want to watch right?

Well, yah... but I don't think you're lookin' at it right.

If you have a really good story, then people will want to watch it. (or film it, or buy it, or read it, or adapt it. Whatever)

If you really groove on Vikings, and can write a kick-ass story 'bout them - do it. :cool:

If everyone on this forum said, "No way, duder... it's all about robot-dinosaurs! That's what to do!"... and you don't feel it... you think you're going to churn out a winner?

..oh yeah, I tried finding that clip from Airplane to post, but they only had the whole sequence. :(

If you have a really good story, then people will want to watch it.

I agree with this.

My issue is to do the same story over and over. For example, I saw Braveheart. So I wasn't really all hot to see say Brad Pitt/Colin Farrell ride in front of their troops talkin' about "Freedom!"

I am, however, a fan of 300. Loved the story--inaccurate as it was-- loved the look. I think if you have a new twist on the story, people will flock to it. I'm not above rolling my eyes about a film that seems to just go over old territory. That's what I thought about Gladiator, right up until I saw it.

Big medival stories like that seem to go over pretty well, especially if you put them all in the same category. To me, Braveheart and Gladiator and 300 and even LOTR are similar ideas in films. But you do have 4 original stories. That's what makes them work.

-- spinner :cool:

Back