• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Logline feedback

I'd appreciate some feedback on this logline! Any critique is welcomed.

LOGLINE:
A free-spirited teenager and his narcissistic mother - both suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder - embark on a cross-country journey to reunite with their past lovers.

LOGLINE V2:
After a failed suicide attempt, a free-spirited teenager reluctantly accompanies his narcissistic mother on a journey to reunite with their past lovers. As both suffer from Borderline Personality Disorder, they must face their symptoms head-on before severing their run-down relationship even more.

CONTEXT:
The story is set in motion when a vicious mother who's been absent in the life of her son tries to commit suicide. After discharging herself from the hospital, she decides to go chase the memory of a past lover. Her son is worried she'll try something else and impulsively joins her on the trip. I realize borderline is touchy subject. I have been diagnosed with it myself and want to make this an accurate depiction. I want to showcase how different people can be affected by the illness in a completely different way. The son is the spiritual type - relying on meditation and therapy in order to cope. The mother, on the other hand, relies on (self) medicating in order to stabilize. On their journey, this contrast will be one of the themes explored.

I think it could. I have a few things in my mind and I am making a map of the story as well. It looks promising. There's a lot of subtleties in their dysfunctional borderline relationship that can make for a compelling storyline.

You're really bringing the goods in this. Don't know how this would work for you:

A teenager goes with his Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosed mother, to save her from the worst trouble, as she takes on a cross-country journey to hopefully reunite with her past lover.

Is it really necessary to mention the specific disorder? I realise it's personal and important to you, but I'd query its place in a logline. I would argue if you have to Google part of a logline, it's not really doing its job! :)

This is a decent start.

A logline is supposed to give someone a fast, strong handle on what exactly is happening in a story. It’s a good idea to include a title and genre in there. Factual details about the trip, like where the two are traveling fro and to, can be more meaningful than just saying the trip is to reunite with a past lover. The kid’s reason for being on the trip is to stop Mom from hurting herself again – that seems more important than her motivation for the trip.

Here’s an example, making some stuff up to fill in blanks I’m unfamiliar with:

Shotgun Road Trip is a drama about a teenage boy accompanying his erratic mother on a road trip from Seattle Washington to Anchorage Alaska to try to ensure she doesn’t attempt to hurt herself again.

Back