MoVi - handheld gyroscopic stabeliser

This video was publushed today by Vincent Laforet and I thought it might interest the Indietalk community:
https://vimeo.com/63357898

The MoVi is gyroscopic and handheld and looks as stable as a real steadycam (or even better)!
Although not cheap ($15,000) this piece of equipment looks really promising.
All those possibilities where you usually end up with bumps, hickups and shocks in your footage :)

What are your thoughts about the MoVi?
Usefull?

I think it's F-ing awesome! I love that they're dividing up the duties, makes it so that you don't necessarily need the world's leading steadicam expert to get an awesome shot.

And I don't think the price-tag is insane. There is always the option to rent, and since you're probably not going to need this for most of your shooting days, no prob.

This technology actually came from multi rotor copters. The gimbals were for use on multi copters. I've been looking into building a copter for flying cameras. I haven't looked into these rigs that much, and have only looked at these videos briefly. But I could post links to half a dozen gimbals designed for copters, that could be outfit for something like this. Their price of 7.5k isn't horrible. For a top end gimbal with good servos, you're looking at about 3k in parts.

This is a cheap gimbal $560, that can take a 5D mk. First time I saw these stabilizers, I thought of trying to make my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0zJf7ekcFo

Last edited:
Got my hands on a Movi a bit over a week ago, spend some time playing around with it.

My verdict:

Interesting. I wouldn't call it revolutionary, but it is an interesting way to get some shots. I wouldn't say it's any better than other, more conventional rigs, but it can be much easier to get some cool shots.

Few things I found:

You need someone who has some experience operating it to do it. Newbies can technically operate it, but I noticed that the shots from newbies versus those who had been using it for a while (on all three aspects - rig operator, remote head operator and focus puller) is vastly different. Newbie shots tended to be quite jerky, despite the massive stabilisation. You also need your operators to be completely in sync, and you need to have planned out exactly what the shot is of. You need to know where to hold the rig so that you dont get yourself in shot, you need to figure out where you'll need to be at certain points.
For professionals and/or people who work well together - established DP/Op/AC teams that have worked together for a while will likely find this a lot easier than those who are brand new to it, or trying to assemble a team for it.

It also takes a long time to stabilise. I guess it's similar to a Steadicam in that respect, but it's more difficult to stabilise as you have more axes. Of course, the more you do it, the better at it you get, but you're not going to be able to pick this up from a rental house and be shooting the next day, unless you have someone who's done it stabilise it at the rental house, or you have someone on set who can do it. After it's stabilised, you can pull off steady shots with relative ease.

It's also pretty heavy. The one I was using was rigged with a 1Dc and IIRC a Canon Cine Prime. It's not the weight of a full steadicam rig with an ENG or Alexa on it, but it's pretty heavy and unfortunately it's all on your arms. As soon as I picked it up, it felt heavy - again not majorly so, but heavy enough that I wouldn't want to attempt to op multiple takes of every shot throughout the day on it.

Overall, I think it's a great tool that will be useful for a number of shots, particularly those created especially for it. I don't think it's going to be replacing the need for a steadicam, jib or dolly anytime soon.

Last edited:
It's also pretty heavy. The one I was using was rigged with a 1Dc and IIRC a Canon Cine Prime. It's not the weight of a full steadicam rig with an ENG or Alexa on it, but it's pretty heavy and unfortunately it's all on your arms. As soon as I picked it up, it felt heavy - again not majorly so, but heavy enough that I wouldn't want to attempt to op multiple takes of every shot throughout the day on it.

Yup. Exactly what I said the first time I saw it. Trying to support something with both arms stretched out in front of you like that is going to wear out even the most fit operators over the course of a day.

Part of the reason that the steadicam system works is that operators can use it (if done correctly) without completely destroying their bodies. The MOVI is going to have some awesome applications, but trying to operate it like a steadicam all day long (held in the hands like that) day after day is asking for a thrashed back and shoulders.

I'm sure they'll overcome the weight issues. I mean, they're already borrowing the stabilization tech from copters, so it seems like it should be easy to just add a few rotors on the top of the rig to provide lift, right? Just don't trip...

Oh, also the remote head is controlled by joystick, similar to that of an RC copter. I hate it, and would want to see it incorporated into proper gears, like any other remote head. I'm sure that's on it's way, but for now I am no fan of the joystick control.

i was at a workshop yester.. i have to say i was lucky to meet Vincent Laforet, and i also had hands on the MOVI
its awesome.. mind blowing..
having used glidecams before, there is no way it compares.. you just grab and go with this one.
968820_10201576197116261_1170515032_n.jpg

What if I want the camera at my eye level or higher? ;)

Mostly kidding, but really, the hype machine is going pretty strong here. :lol:

I can't wait to throw an Easyrig on and clamp it to that middle handle right there. That is how I foresee it being used more commonly.

There will be the occasional 'cool' shot that one will achieve using this, but 'cool' shots have been wowing us for decades, no matter what equipment was used. People need to make sure they remember that whatever equipment and rigs you use - at the end of the day everything has to support the story, and whilst I can see the Movi being used extensively in certain thrillers or action movies, using it in everything is using it for the sake of using it.

It's a nice toy that needs improvements, but will get some interesting shots - but it ain't no 'game changer'

I've been playing with a Movi a few times now.
You can do great things with it, but what Jax says: it's not the anwser to everything.
Plus it's pretty heavy to operate for a longer periode of time: I really need to work out and do more yoga to strength my back.
You can just put it on the ground when you are tired...
Monday I used it on a convention: I hope my deodorant was strong enough. After a while I started sweating like crazy.

I still need to practise more.
It's easy to get quite ok shots, but perfecly sweet shots need more skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRoNebAtFeM

The shot moving into the garden was actually my first Movi shot ever.

A steady arm would be a nice addition sometimes, but at the moment it's not in the budget :P

My girl's yoga classes help a lot to strengthen my arms and back :)

Last week I shot a little web commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUPNr5x2w2Q

We started in Germany in the morning and ended in Rotterdam in the evening.
I was operating the MoVI with an A7s, while my partner in crime shot B-roll on a 5D mkII (1 shot) or used the remote control while I was shooting from the car window, assisted or took the MoVI during the 1 hand off we did. (And yes, a third person was the driver.)
You just need to be with 2 persons to be able to move around a lot.

We did a shot that went from crossing the street at floorlevel till moving backwards while rising and a hand off to him standing on a 2 meter high stairs we put on the street. But as expected: it was too long for the edit :P
Only first part and end part of the 2nd take made the cut.

Freefly released new software this week.
This makes it possible to
- target GPS coordinates or a MIMIC transmitter
- program timelapses or trackshots (suddenly it is a programmable gimbal)

(Improved algorhythms also make longer lenses look smoother.)

During lunch I did a quick test with the timelapse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RRJSP8H4OA

(Exposure was set to automatic, so it flickers a bit. Ungraded and no stabilizing in post.)

Back