Is hiring a second unit director a bad idea?

Basically I have a project I would like to direct, but I couldn't find enough talent in my own city, so I would like to shoot some of it here, with the people I have, as well as other scenes in another city. But rather than fly out there, it might save me on costs, if I just hire a second unit director in another city, to do the other scenes.

But is that a bad idea? I mean I will have no idea what the footage or audio is like till the first scene is shot, and by then it might be too late to change my mind.

But professional productions use second unit directors often, so what do you think?

But is that a bad idea? I mean I will have no idea what the footage or audio is like till the first scene is shot, and by then it might be too late to change my mind.

Just this concern shows it is a bad idea for you.
It shows you have no idea how to pick the right director AND how to communicate what you want.

In theory and reality it can work out fine.
Cloud Atlas was shot that way, but the scenes' settings are very different from each other.
Series like Game of Thrones have between 3 and 5 directors for each season and it blends perfectly together: that is the power of hiring the right people and communicate clearly about the look and feel of the film/series.

But maybe it is a good idea after all: you might up with great footage from the other team :P

A second unit director rarely directs the story. They're in charge of inserts, close ups, car chases master shots, etc.... Basically stuff that doesn't require the real actors.

But maybe it is a good idea after all: you might up with great footage from the other team :P
Great point!

Sweetie and El Director are correct; Ryan has simply misidentified
what he wants. What he describes is not a second unit director.
Most big movies employ a second unit to save time. The second unit
is shooting at the same time as the first unit. That unit doesn't usually
work with the main actors.

I can't see how Ryan's method would save money. Since he can't find
enough talent in his own city then he will find enough talent in another
city. Either way he pays for that talent. In addition to that expense he
will have to cover the travel and lodging expenses of ONE person. That's
not a deal breaking expense. He would still have to pay a local director
so if he didn't take a salary for those weeks in another city the overall
costs would likely balance.

Ryan, you want to shoot in Los Angeles? I can find enough talent here.
I'll do it.

Co-director, which is actually under director in the hierarchy, not equal, then both would be listed as director.

What you are describing is a disjointed collaboration as the result of means, not artistry, and it will probably show, like a tattoo you got finished at a different shop. If it's your vision you should direct it. Anything else you are leaving up to chance. Is that worth it???

Artistic integrity > $ saved

Leonardo da Vinci never said: "Hey I'm going to lunch. Will you finish painting this for me? Her name is Mona."

Leonardo da Vinci never said: "Hey I'm going to lunch. Will you finish painting this for me? Her name is Mona."

At the same time Game of Thrones does not feel disjointed at all.
It can be done, but it takes skills to get 2 teams on the same page. And I'm not even talking about the quality page, I'm talking about the style, atmosphere and pace page.

Absolutely! But he's not doing this for the sake of art or experimentation, but because there is no talent in his town. If you want to do a collab, it's not for the sake of saving money in fact you may end up spending more. The collab has to be part of the vision. If it's not then don't go down that road. More work/$ than you think!

If you can make it work, go for it. But if it's just for the sake of the budget, I feel you will be disappointed. If you really want to direct it you will find a way.

Okay thanks. As far as communication goes, I would send the other director, storyboards, and shot lists, as well as instructions to what cinematography I want, what color grading, what kind of sound to match, etc. I would still consider myself the director in the sense that I am making the starter decisions and all...

I read that the movie The World Is Not Enough (directed by Michael Apted), had different directors to direct the action scenes, where as the Apted only directed the dialogue scenes. And they made it work. So I thought maybe it can be done therefore.

Last edited:
Sounds like a mess in the making. If you have the money to hire a second director, maybe just move to a city where there is the talent necessary?

Back