• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Unoriginal, original ideas?

Has this happened to anyone else? You have a brainstorm session and think you've come up with an idea that had everything you look for in a story – it was emotional, original and bankable for producers. You begin planning your script (or begin writing) and then realize that someone has already created your original idea.

It’s one of the core problems I’ve encountered while writing scripts. Storytelling has been around for a millennia, meaning countless stories have already have been told. I guess the challenge is to discover an idea that’s original to you. Or I could invent a time machine, whatever is easier.

It would be awesome to hear other stories from writers about your experience discovering that your original idea was already done by someone else. How did you react? What did you do next?

Welcome to indietalk.

Happens to me often. I react by taking a closer look at my expression
of the idea. Since someone else had it it was not original, but there
are many ways to tackle that idea. What I do next is either rewrite or
move to my next idea.
It’s one of the core problems I’ve encountered while writing scripts. Storytelling has been around for a millennia, meaning countless stories have already have been told.

Very true. And countless stories are left to be told.

Same. In fact the last 20 years my procrastination has led to many ideas I had around true events or historical events being done by someone else. I remember watching the 1998 Olympics and an American torch bearer named Louis Zamperini and a special they did on his story and that I wanted to write the movie adaptation of it and I bought the book "Devil at my Heels" with the intent of buying the rights and then never did anything with it. Then Laura Hilderbrand (Seabiscuit fame) wrote a biography, it got optioned and then made as "Unbroken".

My version would have been deeper, more emotional and better. Sorry Angelina.

Has this happened to anyone else? You have a brainstorm session and think you've come up with an idea that had everything you look for in a story – it was emotional, original and bankable for producers. You begin planning your script (or begin writing) and then realize that someone has already created your original idea.

It’s one of the core problems I’ve encountered while writing scripts. Storytelling has been around for a millennia, meaning countless stories have already have been told. I guess the challenge is to discover an idea that’s original to you. Or I could invent a time machine, whatever is easier.

It would be awesome to hear other stories from writers about your experience discovering that your original idea was already done by someone else. How did you react? What did you do next?

Happens to me all the time. Perhaps every story we have ever heard, read, or seen lies buried within our subconscious?

Back