Survey / Poll camera usage

Hi All
I'm a new member and I'm keen to learn what your opinion is about your first choice in camera to use for shooting short films or events. Assuming of course you could afford said camera.
Thank you!
Kind regards,
Mark

Last edited:
What would, in your opinion, be the right tool for the job? (Events or short films)

Again... different tools for different jobs.

Events? First, what does the client want? Do they need 4K? Then you'll need to shoot 4K. Is 1080p enough? Then you don't need to worry about 4K.

Do you need to shoot long takes for event coverage? DSLR is out, because many of them stop recording at 29 minutes. Something like the C100 might be fine for extended recording, but you'd probably want the servo zoom lens (add $5k). Maybe you'd be better off with an all-in-one camcorder like the Panasonic DVX200 or the Sony NX100.

Do you need to hide cameras in tight spots, or in risky "stunt" positions? Grab a GoPro.

Short films? Well, these have categorically different needs than events coverage. What's your budget? And again, do you have to deliver in 4K or is 1080p fine?

DSLR could be a fine solution... event the best solution... for you based on what you need for your workflow. Or maybe you need a cleaner image with less rolling shutter artifacting, so you look to a C100 or C100mkII. I'd say your options are much wider open for short films than with event coverage.

Again... different tools for different jobs.

Events? First, what does the client want? Do they need 4K? Then you'll need to shoot 4K. Is 1080p enough? Then you don't need to worry about 4K.

Do you need to shoot long takes for event coverage? DSLR is out, because many of them stop recording at 29 minutes. Something like the C100 might be fine for extended recording, but you'd probably want the servo zoom lens (add $5k). Maybe you'd be better off with an all-in-one camcorder like the Panasonic DVX200 or the Sony NX100.

Do you need to hide cameras in tight spots, or in risky "stunt" positions? Grab a GoPro.

Short films? Well, these have categorically different needs than events coverage. What's your budget? And again, do you have to deliver in 4K or is 1080p fine?

DSLR could be a fine solution... event the best solution... for you based on what you need for your workflow. Or maybe you need a cleaner image with less rolling shutter artifacting, so you look to a C100 or C100mkII. I'd say your options are much wider open for short films than with event coverage.

Thank you for your comments. Currently, I shoot stills. If I were to offer a service, mainly for weddings and funerals (yes, thats a thing here) or for covering other events such as seminars, and my other passion, 4x4 competitions, then I'd be keen to know what equipment would be good to use and get me the work. Some say DSLR. My gut tells me a dedicated video camera would be better? But, I value others opinions. There's lots of talk about 4K. Am I shooting myself in the foot buying non-4K equipment? Those are the sort of questions I ponder - hence the attempt to tap into a large forum so as to find what the majority here favour.

Back