6 Reasons to Think of Your Film as a Brand

Branding is vital if you want to create greatness, if you can brand something you can succeed in something. A brand helps you establish and define something with ease and potency. Branding creates connotation, it has a voice, a feel, vibe, it has character.

By creating a brand of your film or yourself as a filmmaker, you bring certain qualities to the table;

Benefits of branding:

Influencer of choice
Consumers will no longer dither over alternatives and compare options, they choose your brand, your film – because they know what it stands for.

Loyalty and Advocacy
When people buy into a brand, they buy into the atmosphere, they are in its ‘house’. Everything that goes on in this ‘house’, the way people are treated, respected, talked to and engaged, creates an emotional bond. People become loyal, stand up for your brand and become evangelise on your behalf. How many times have you argued over how good a certain film is over another? It might not be the better film, but you loved this film, you got this films back!

Command a price premium
Competing on price is a race to the bottom, I never understand why people do it… Well I do, it’s laziness. Too lazy to try, too lazy to fight too lazy to compete! Everyone must find a way to differentiate themselves from their competition. Strong branding helps you achieve this and encourages customers to pay for the intangible benefits; appearing cool, trendy, forward thinking or intelligent.

Differentiator
You don’t want to compete on tangible things, these can be copied. As mentioned above those emotional, intangible benefits are what you strive to develop and define. Standing out from your competition is your reward for doing this.

Platform for growth
Like SAW and its franchise status, a well defined brand is the launch pad to bigger opportunities. It’s much easier to transfer these qualities over to new markets than starting from scratch each time.

A framework for integration
As you grow and take bigger opportunities, you stretch your brand out, knowing exactly what the brand is helps you navigate and define yourself in these new territories. Strategies are easy, you just build on the framework you’ve established. Viewer relationships are dealt with in your particular way, and you keep this ‘voice’ consistent, its how you would talk, IM, recommend, interact, post and update in.

Lets boil that down into 3 crystal clear things;

Credibility
A credible brand will align the way a film behaves with the way it is portrayed.

Clarity
A clear brand will ensure its values are adhered to throughout its communications and actions.

Consistency
A consistent brand will have visible manifestation across every ‘touch point’ your consumer experiences.

What sort of brand are you? Tell me 5 keywords about you as a filmmaker or your recent film

If you want to see this post with examples and pretty pictures, have a butcher's over here.

I think stuck in the 80s, arrogance and a wiz are some great traits to have. You can play off those three things so well. Just creating 80s inspired scenes, plots, maybe even as small as 'head nods', the audience you'd slowly build around your films would get it, smile and feel at home in your visions. Arrogance gives you strength to put out these visions and a wiz ensure you create then beautifully!

!

I could have used this support in a certain editing thread! :)

Back