Sony NEX-FS100UK or Panasonic AG-AF100... help!

I am in the middle of the battle between Panasonic AG-AF100 vs Sony NEX-FS100UK and I need some advice.

Here are the points on which I'm dwelling now:

- According to Sony, the 35 mm sensor of the NEX-FS100UK produces 16:9 ratio by default. This differs it from the Panasonic AG-AF100 of which the sensor default ratio is 4:3. So if I want to convert Panasonic ratio to 16:9 I'm going to end up with recording frame that's half the Sony's one. Still I usually will not need this because my target is TV, and standards of TV channels is in my area is 4:3.

- Similarly, I guess, there should be some crop in the 35 mm image if I want to reach 4:3 ratio. May be not in half but there will be a crop.

- Sony talks about the 3D color processing that "understands" angel view to keep the level of W/B on different surfaces... bla bla bla... till we reach to where "This will give its image crisper quality."

- Still some experts are praising the image quality of the Panasonic AG-AF100 over the Sony F3. And I guess they would do the same if they compare the Panasonic with the Sony Nex-FS100UK

- The Panasonic sensor is the same used in Panasonic DSLRs, meaning it's a non-specialized sensor. It may drop a certain amount of mentioned resolution.

- Panasonic has a slight edge as it comes with more varied frame rates at 1080p.

- Both can take variety of lenses, though the Sony needs less adapters than Panasonic.

- Some people say the Panasonic is just an expensive DSLR while I see this as an advantage as it gives the same quality of DSLR with less wobbles, skew and smear effects.

Finally I should mention that I will ALWAYS edit using Final Cut Pro and I expect to usually do some FX. So I need the camera that give me the best workflow for this.

Now while I know it's a personal choice and each camera has its advantages and all, please give me your personal opinion or tell me about any leaning you may have toward any of them. Even if you prefer any other camera I'm ready to listen, but just tell me why.

Thanks

Last edited:
To what I learned, Panasonic doesn't have the same amount of lenses. It rather depends on 3rd party lenses more.

Off the top of my head I can think of 6 Panasonic m4/3 lenses, not to mention all the other manufacturers m4/3 lenses and 4/3 Panasonic lenses that can be adapted with full auto control. While the AG-AF100 may be lacking in some areas, it's selection of native lenses is far greater than the E-Mount, at least for the time being. However, there are far greater choices for lenses available via adapters for both cameras.

Having seen the AF100 on the big screen, why don't you get a DSLR! Not impressed by the Panny!

Sony FS100 all the way! Nicer camera all round!

http://philipbloom.net/2011/05/05/bloomshootout/

AF100 has a lot of uses that the FS100 doesn't.

The better image is the FS100, though, and this is from a hands on with both cameras.

The better camera is hands down the AF100.

Decide which one you care more about, go from there.

I'd get a GH-2 before an AF100, personally. FS100 if I were willing to spend the money on tech that'll be close to old in a year and'a half.

Back