f/stop on outdoor panaramic

I'm shooting a sunrise with the Tokina 11-16mm lens on a T3i.

I am keeping the aperature at 50 and ISO at 200. So in order to not blow it out I have the f/stop cranked up to 18-20. Is this hurting the image?

Do I need a filter so I can shoot on a lower f/stop?

Thanks guys!!

With landscape stuff you generally habe a deep DOF anyway, no harm running it at f/20 or anything.

If you want to shoot at a lower f stop (aperture is the f stop) then you can use ND filters.

It's your shutter speed that's set to 1/50 - your f-stop is your aperture. After stopping down beyond a certain point, you will begin to see the effects of diffraction (although you gain depth of field, you lose sharpness). The aperture at which this happens depends upon the size of the sensor (or film format). Personally I would not stop down beyond f/11 or so on an APS-C camera - I feel there is a noticeable loss in sharpness after this point, although this is more of an issue with high resolution stills than it is with 1080p video.

It's your shutter speed that's set to 1/50 - your f-stop is your aperture. After stopping down beyond a certain point, you will begin to see the effects of diffraction (although you gain depth of field, you lose sharpness). The aperture at which this happens depends upon the size of the sensor (or film format). Personally I would not stop down beyond f/11 or so on an APS-C camera - I feel there is a noticeable loss in sharpness after this point, although this is more of an issue with high resolution stills than it is with 1080p video.

So if I need to stop down on anything beyond f/11 to avoid blowout I should probably invest a nice filter huh?

Back