• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Video editing software that imports Pro Res

Just bought this Pinnacle Studio 22 Ultimate. Can't import Pro Res 422 files. It just crashes.
Are there any that support Pro Res besides the expensive programs like Final Cut?

Resolve? It's free.
Checking it out right now. I'll put it to the test and see if it can handle all of my videoblocks.com and pixabay.com 1080p videos. Beyond that I don't need anything fancy. If I need fancy I do it in After Effects.

It's handling my Pro Res files, but other files it cannot import. For example PNG video files with an MPEG-4 container it cannot open. I have less of these so maybe I can just live with having to convert these in After Effects to a usable format.

I like the way the program quickly imports files. For some reason the way Pinnacle Studio is designed, there's the wait time for files to get imported.

Last edited:
Go to caiofilm.com and check out all of the different free and open-source software on the $0 Budget Software webpage. There are at least 3 different NLEs that can open ProRes.

Disclosing that it is my website that has the list of open-source or free software relevant to filmmakers. Cheers!

Go to caiofilm.com and check out all of the different free and open-source software on the $0 Budget Software webpage. There are at least 3 different NLEs that can open ProRes.

Disclosing that it is my website that has the list of open-source or free software relevant to filmmakers. Cheers!
Looks like you like DaVinci Resolve the best. You said that it's strictly an editing program. Do you mean that it doesn't do After Effects type stuff, fancy audio editing, etc? I use Nuendo for audio and After Effects for motion graphics so that would work well for me.

Last edited:
Looks like you like DaVinci Resolve the best. You said that it's strictly an editing program. Do you mean that it doesn't do After Effects type stuff, fancy audio editing, etc? I use Nuendo for audio and After Effects for motion graphics so that would work well for me.

I guess I don't understand your situation.

I didn't say that it's only for editing. I said, "Where else can you ingest, edit, create VFX, color grade, mix audio, and deliver all in one application?"

All the other programs I listed after Resolve in the Editing NLE section were examples if you only needed an editing NLE app. If you know how to use After Effects, then I figure you could use any of the software listed.

Thanks for pointing that out. I edited it to clarify what I actually mean is that if all I needed was a video editor without all the other bells and whistles.

I guess I would try Shotcut since their claim to fame is being able to work with any codec. Let us know how that works out.

Cheers!

Wow this DaVinci is unstable as hell. It keeps closing out the program when doing something simple like clicking a button. I think I'm going to switch to editing my short on my old 14 year old Final Cut Pro / MAC system. I will have to convert a bunch of clips that it can't open but at least it should be stable. Or heck... maybe I'll just continue to put it all together with After Effects on my PC. Rendering is slow but at least it doesn't crash. I could render low quality clips just to edit with, then later replace them (with the high quality clips) for the final rending.

Wow this DaVinci is unstable as hell. It keeps closing out the program when doing something simple like clicking a button. I think I'm going to switch to editing my short on my old 14 year old Final Cut Pro / MAC system. I will have to convert a bunch of clips that it can't open but at least it should be stable. Or heck... maybe I'll just continue to put it all together with After Effects on my PC. Rendering is slow but at least it doesn't crash. I could render low quality clips just to edit with, then later replace them (with the high quality clips) for the final rending.

Before you switch to your 14 year old Final Cut Pro / MAC system, try Blender. It is open source, is stable (here), has a built in video editor (VSE) and it accepts Prores 422 files.

I don't think the crashing is because of lack of RAM. It doesn't crash during playback. The last time it crashed I was simply clicking from the color page to the edit page.

Indietalk is absolutely right. 8GB RAM will shut the system down.

Playback is actually the least-intensive process in there because it’s likely playing back from a rendered video cache, just as if you were simply watching a video in QuickTime, Windows Media Player, etc.

Moving between color correction and edit means the program is trying to render the color correction you just applied, shift display modes, and update the playback screen all at the same time. 8GB RAM will not keep up and the program will simply shut down.

You actually have a good i7 processor. Not sure what your graphics processor is, though. But look at the Resolve minimum requirements and you’ll see that it specifies a minimum of 16GB. I’d recommend 32GB to give yourself plenty of headroom.

Well I upgraded to 16 GB of RAM. Resolve is still crashing. This last time it did it was when I had done some color correction to a clip, then additionally tried to adjust the contrast setting. Boom! Program closed out! Too bad, because I really liked the feel of this Resolve video editing program. I will only use it for very simple projects that don't involve color correction.

Most programs will give you some sort of error message rather than crash. At least Final Cut Pro gives you the dreaded "General Error" or something like that.

Well I upgraded to 16 GB of RAM. Resolve is still crashing. This last time it did it was when I had done some color correction to a clip, then additionally tried to adjust the contrast setting. Boom! Program closed out! Too bad, because I really liked the feel of this Resolve video editing program. I will only use it for very simple projects that don't involve color correction.

Most programs will give you some sort of error message rather than crash. At least Final Cut Pro gives you the dreaded "General Error" or something like that.

Just curious. Do you have any of your working media on your boot drive, or is all of your media on an external (or secondary) drive?

Back