• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 11th Dimension Visual Effects Reel 2012

Still have lots to go on this feature film. We still have shooting to do and post production stuff. But here's the visual effects reel for what was done in the first five minutes of the film. Hope y'all enjoy :)

https://vimeo.com/54672433

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Can I ask what program you're using for modeling? I'm teaching myself Blender at the moment, since I can't afford any of the other programs.

Thanks,
Jeff

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Can I ask what program you're using for modeling? I'm teaching myself Blender at the moment, since I can't afford any of the other programs.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Glad you like it. I use 3D Studio Max for modeling. I've been using the software since version 4. I am also self taught. Have not gone to school for this. Blender is a pretty good program. I've seen some good things posted on youtube :)

Last edited:
It's encouraging to hear you say you are self taught. I have been interested in Maya or 3ds Max for sometime, but the $3500 plus price tag has been a bit much to get past (although spending 10k plus on camera gear wasn't....lol). Since I started learning about this indie filmmaking hobby, I've learned i like the VFX side of things, and am interested in doing VFX heavy projects. I figured if I could teach myself blender, and do some things that look pretty decent, it would be worth the money for me to upgrade to Maya or 3ds Max. Also hopefully a more lateral learning move, as opposed to starting from scratch.

I see YouTube videos of people just repurposing Internet tutorials. While I'm doing these same tutorials, I've also planned a few small projects, to take what be learned,,and put them to use. I run a restaurant, and am currently creating a model of front of the building. I've filmed a short 30sec segment of outside of my work. And want to convincingly blow out the front doors and pillars, which will create a reaction that ends in a big tower crashing to the ground. I plan to use the areas I've modeled, replace them in the live action shot, use a combination of blender game engine, smoke sim, and some prekeyed footage to create the explosion. It's my winter project, since I have to find the time around my day jobs schedule.

What part of Michigan are you from? I was raised in Midland, lived there until I was 15.

Thanks again for the reply. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Jeff

I liked it, very nice shots in the bathtub scene. However, sometimes your UV mapping is off in weird places. In the creepy shot with the guy walking in through the smoke it is extremely obvious that the you have some seams in the UV where the texture of the right wall doesn't move around the corner.

All in all I liked the lighting and composition, texturing could be better. Good job!

It's encouraging to hear you say you are self taught. I have been interested in Maya or 3ds Max for sometime, but the $3500 plus price tag has been a bit much to get past (although spending 10k plus on camera gear wasn't....lol). Since I started learning about this indie filmmaking hobby, I've learned i like the VFX side of things, and am interested in doing VFX heavy projects. I figured if I could teach myself blender, and do some things that look pretty decent, it would be worth the money for me to upgrade to Maya or 3ds Max. Also hopefully a more lateral learning move, as opposed to starting from scratch.

I see YouTube videos of people just repurposing Internet tutorials. While I'm doing these same tutorials, I've also planned a few small projects, to take what be learned,,and put them to use. I run a restaurant, and am currently creating a model of front of the building. I've filmed a short 30sec segment of outside of my work. And want to convincingly blow out the front doors and pillars, which will create a reaction that ends in a big tower crashing to the ground. I plan to use the areas I've modeled, replace them in the live action shot, use a combination of blender game engine, smoke sim, and some prekeyed footage to create the explosion. It's my winter project, since I have to find the time around my day jobs schedule.

What part of Michigan are you from? I was raised in Midland, lived there until I was 15.

Thanks again for the reply. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Jeff

I actually ran across a VFX breakdown video on youtube for a film called "Tears of Steel." All 3D elements were done with Blender. Have a looksee if you haven't seen it. Production value is Hollywood grade in my opinion. I still have lots to learn in VFX. I've been toying with it on and off for the last 10 years. Last year was when I decided I wanted to pursue the dream. Better late than never haha.

I was born and raised in both Cheboygan and Indian River. Good state but man, need more films made out here!

I liked it, very nice shots in the bathtub scene. However, sometimes your UV mapping is off in weird places. In the creepy shot with the guy walking in through the smoke it is extremely obvious that the you have some seams in the UV where the texture of the right wall doesn't move around the corner.

All in all I liked the lighting and composition, texturing could be better. Good job!

Glad you like man :) yeah I'm still learning. Texturing isn't my strong point but I'm learning more about it. I have more interiors to create for the film since we shot more stuff :)

Back