Move to LA to become a filmmaker???

Hello...i have a few questions and didn't really know they would fit in which section of the forum....

I'm an aspiring filmmaker from India. Currently i'm working as an assistant director.

the thing is that most of my family has moved to USA... i.e. my Aunts, uncles, cousins...... now they want me to join them there and since they all live in California they said i could join a film school there and work there......

i'm very keen aswell..... but moving to an entirely different place can be life changing..... plus i dont know much about LA..... i've heard its not safe for young girls like myself..... i'm 22 btw.......

i was wondering if i go there should i join a film school..would that help?? Would an outsider like me really find any work in Hollywood???

and yes then is LA the best place to stay or i should try film schools in other parts of the country????

also all the complications related to it...please help...its a big big decision for me and i'm in such a turmoil....

If you're currently working as assistant director in Mumbai then my opinion is that you should stay where you are- you're doing very well and you don't want to scrap that progress and start again from scratch in a new industry.

My girlfriend is from Jaipur- she studied in LA for a year but from what I can see most of her friends from other countries ended up going home after their courses ended- people can spend years in Hollywood without getting anywhere. You don't want to end up in a situation where you have to give up your dream because it's not working out, and you can't move back to India because you've relocated with your family.

Obviously those are just the negative points, but if I were you I'd stick in Mumbai and work hard and see if it pays off before considering such a big change.

L.A. is no more or less safe than any other big city in the U.S
and much safer than many big cities in the world.

Yes, the cost of living is higher here than in many places - there
are more oppertunities to make a living in film here than in many
other places.

An “outsider” can get work in Hollywood.

Some people choose film school, some jump right in and start
working. there is no correct answer.

Since you already have family in Los Angeles, that’s a fine place
to get started.

Well, as you can see, there are many positives and negatives to making such a move. What you really need to do is examine your own desires and goals. Do you want to be a filmmaker? How is that progressing where you are? Are you currently working and do you have future opportunities? What are your local educational opportunities? Might it be better to firmly establish yourself where you are and then move to L.A. with a solid resume?

These and many more are the questions you should be asking yourself. Then go into the personal aspects with the same thoroughness.

Why do you want to move here? There's nothing wrong with LA or Hollywood but if you're already in India, I'd think you'd want to be part of India's film industry, Bollywood, which has around $2 billion in annual ticket sales. The cost of living and cost of production is usually cheaper there as well.

If you want to work particularly in Hollywood movies then that's a different case.

I plan on moving to LA, but it's defiantly a tough move. I am in the military and have the GI Bill to help me pay for school. I'd get more experience and movies under your belt and have more to offer when you do decide to move.

Ruchika,

I am from India too.But at the moment,I am studying Computer Science and part time I'm working on films.I can understand the turmoil you are in.Mumbai is the best place to be for any aspiring filmmaker.USA has got one of the best film schools in the world ,especially in LA,likes of UCLA,USC.If you can afford to go there,I suggest you go out there ,get nice global exposure.If you are able to start off a career there,settle down,else you can join WWI or FTII in Mumbai(FTII is in Pune,near Mumbai) and get into work.

Wait,first off you didnt say if you are interested to go to a filmschool or not.Whom are you assisting in bollywood?

oh i'm very confused....... I wanna be a director, producer n screenwriter...... there are so many differnt courses in New york film academy.... i can't figure out which one would be the best for me........
plus i love hollywood...i'd luv to work there...... but i dont wana regret later....... specially i don't wana waste my parent's money for this..it shouldn't go down the drain.......

plus...is it easy for filmmaking students to get part time jobs in hollywood??? i need tons of suggestions so i can make up a decision..... as its a big big thing for me and my family as well.....

but i dont wana regret later.......
The only thing you will regret later is if you don't try - if you
don't take the risk.

plus...is it easy for filmmaking students to get part time jobs in hollywood??? i need tons of suggestions so i can make up a decision..... as its a big big thing for me and my family as well.....
No, it’s not easy for filmmaking students to get part time jobs
in Hollywood. There are far more students than there are jobs.

I can relate to your dilemma - this is a very difficult decision to
make and there is not correct answer.

Also is language gonna be a big problem??? my English isn't that bad.... and i can work very hard on it....... but i don't have such a good fluency...... will that affect working in hollywood??
i watch american tv shows and movies all the time..... i totally understand everything they say.... hhmm..... i just went through the brochure of New york film academy..... the programe for production seems quite interesting plus it includes all other aspects of filmmaking as well....

Also is language gonna be a big problem??? my English isn't that bad.... and i can work very hard on it....... but i don't have such a good fluency...... will that affect working in hollywood??
At first, yes. But you will learn and become more fluent.

i just went through the brochure of New york film academy..... the programe for production seems quite interesting plus it includes all other aspects of filmmaking as well....
Then that might be a fine program for you.

I have to agree with everyone else here.
I'm from LA myself. It's not any more dangerous than any other city. In some ways, it's less dangerous than other cities. At night time, I wouldn't want to walk around by myself, or leave my car unlocked, but during the daytime it seems completely safe and people are generally friendly.
If you already have a job, then that sounds like a pretty good deal already. But you have family in LA, so there's a good reason to move too. So it seems good in both ways, but it is a risk.
And it's certainly not easy to get a job in Hollywood. You have to know the right people, or you'll end up with a small job working for 30k a year and living on a tight budget. I don't know the right people, which is why I chose to leave film making as a hobby and earn my living doing something else. But there are plenty of people in LA interested in making movies.

And it's certainly not easy to get a job in Hollywood. You have to know the right people, or you'll end up with a small job working for 30k a year and living on a tight budget. I don't know the right people, which is why I chose to leave film making as a hobby and earn my living doing something else. But there are plenty of people in LA interested in making movies.

Urg...Not true. Sure knowing people helps...as much as it does in any profession. But working your way up is the way to "meet" people. I don't know anyone who just showed up one day and was a DP or directing. Everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up. Same goes in acting. I started doing plays..then indie film...then bigger films. Started booking the crap out of commercials and now i'm going in weekly for TV and studio pictures. But it all started out with Non paid work (ie the actors bottom).

Last edited:
Urg...Not true. Sure knowing people helps...as much as it does in any professional. But working your way up is the way to "meet" people. I don't know anyone who just showed up one day and was a DP or directing. Everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up. Same goes in acting. I started doing plays..then indie film...then bigger films. Started booking the crap out of commercials and now i'm going in weekly for TV and studio pictures. But it all started out with Non paid work (ie the actors bottom).

That's kind of what I meant.... If you want to jump into the industry, you won't get a well paying job unless you already know people, so you'll have to start at the very bottom, and it might take a long time to work your way up to a normal level where you're making enough to support yourself. If you can afford to jump in at the bottom and work your way up, then it can become a profitable career as you meet people and advance, etc.

In my experience you can get paid jobs in Los Angeles through connections made by interning for free. However, if you film your own projects, getting out of the LA area is a good idea. I found out the hard way filming an indie production in the the City of Los Angeles is like running through a tunnel filled with giant rats wearing a suit made of cheese. 8-)

About the language barrier:
Yes, the language situation can be a big factor as there are many people who will feel that you should be able to speak english, so while you are in Mumbai, work on it.

Also, remember that a RED camera in Mumbai is a RED camera in L.A., so if one of the things you could learn where you are is the equipment, then it might be a good idea to know as much of that before you get to the U.S. (You said you were working under an assistant director, which implies you are on a film set.)

Absorb all the knowledge you can from that assistant director :yes:

-- spinner :cool:

Let me digress for a moment and talk about “connections”.

finderskeepers is correct. I have a little story:

On Monday (24th) I get a call from one of my connections - someone
I have worked for in the past. He is shooting a very low budget
“test” for a reality show in Phoenix in November. He needs a small
crew who will work for less than their regular rate. I agree to
help him out.

He has budgeted for two general “assistants” at a very low $200
for two days. I can’t ask any of my usual people to work for that
low but I know there are hundreds of people who would be glad to
work for that rate. Travel, meals and hotel are covered.

One of my jobs is as a stagehand/pyrotechnician. For the past six
months I’ve been working with a young guy who is enthusiastic, a
hard worker and has made a few little music videos. He’s really
interested in being a camera operator.

I know I could post on mandy or craigslist and get the two people.
I know I could post here and get the two people. But I asked this
guy because when I went to work on Wednesday he was right there.

I have gotten easily 98% of all my jobs because I was right there.
Connections are the life blood of this industry. And the very best way
to make connections is to be working in the industry.

Don't go to film school. Huge waste of money. Can't emphasize it enough.
Especially if you're already working as an AD in India.

Getting ahead in Hollywood is mostly about relationships. How do you make them? By diving in and working hard for nothing (paying dues). I would suggest contacting production companies and seeing if you can intern for 6 months or so. Crash with your family here for a while. Almost everyone I've ever known or worked with in high places in Hollywood (heads of studios, etc) started this way- learning on the job and forging relationships (though a few friends rose via nepotism). Unfortunately, these days it can even be challenging landing a non-paying internship at a good production co, but it sounds like you have an interesting background being a 22 yr old woman AD in India.

Go on IMDB pro and get the emails of production companies who produce material you resonate with and start emailing them about working for free as an intern.

Either that or borrow a DSLR, find a couple friends who have final cut and know sound and go make your own movie wherever you are. Submit it to film festivals. If you're any good, Hollywood may come to you. FYI, this happened to a director I just worked with on a show. Years ago he was getting nowhere in LA and said "--- it" and moved to Germany where he started making films, only to have Hollywood suddenly want to hire him based on his exotic foreign films.

And yeah, if you want to make Hollywood films, probably best to get your English polished.

P.S. what directorik said.

Last edited:
Back