• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Replica handguns

I'm making a short film for my film making class at school and the centrepiece of the film is a shootout between the protag and the antag and something I have been worrying about lately is, what am I going to do about the guns? I initially planned on using cap guns but then I realised the flash doesn't come out of the barrel on those and would therefore ruin the realistic feel of the film. So my question is, does anyone here know what I'd be able to use as a good substitute for real guns and any places that might be worth looking (be aware, I live in Australia so don't name specific stores for I won't be able to find what you suggest, if you can, tell me a general type of place) Your help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

I know I don't need to say this, but I will anyway

Any filmed scene involving any kind of discharging firearm, real or not, has the potential to create fatal accidents.

A BB gun has the potential to kill at short ranges!

Even a blank firing pistol can kill (Brandon Lee died this way when a sliver of metal casing was forced out by a blank cartridge, during a professional shoot)

To film any firearms sequence safely, really needs the professional help of an armourer.

However, that isn't practical on your shoot, therefore you need to find ways of bringing the risks down to zero.

The easist way to achieve this is to never have a loaded weapon of any kind on set. If you frame the shots in tight and add the right sound fx in post production, you'll get a fairly good and completely safe scene.
To achieve this, you have to personally check every single weapon on the set before each take, to ensure than nobody has loaded them.

The second rule is, even with an empty gun, nobody from the cast or crew is ever placed in front of the gun. In fact, ideally, you need everyone behind the firing line at all times. I know that this restricts your shooting options, but no film is worth anyone getting injured.

The final thing you need to do is brief the cast about the safety rules at the begining of the day and make sure that they are strictly enforced.

Safety on set will be your responsibility, in the heat of a production it's not unusual for actors to put themselves at risk in order to get the shot. People will take risk that they wouldn't in every day life. For this reason safety has to be the number one thought of any director.

One of the things you might consider doing, is a risk assesment for the scene. This is where you right down every single way a person might get injured doing the scene and every single hazzard. You then create working rules that will remove the risk as completely as you can.

Hope this helped. Have fun doing the scene.

This got me curious and I was just wondering...with the airsoft guns what kind of sound do they make when u fire them (they have the reg. ones and the gas powered ones)? Does it sound anything like a real gun or does the gunshot have to be dubbed in just like the flash has to be added?

Ok, i played airsoft for about a week of my life, and if your getting a pistol definitely will need sound effects, But if you get an AEG(electronic) automatic, its not AS necessary(sp) but youll want it.

and Clive(this isnt a flame)
I've been shot point blank with several Airsoft guns, just a welt, maybe a small open wound if its like...really close and a really powerful gun. The BB's (Which wouldnt be loaded during filming) are .20 - .25grams(weight) and plastic, the firing is usually anywhere from 200-350 feet per second, not really lethal to even a little bird. BB guns are ATLEAST 700fps(feet per sec) and a lot of them are above 1000fps.

I know its safety first, but really, if you dont load the gun, you wont have a problem. And say some freak accident happens when the gun gets loaded...no one dies, just a small little welt.

Somewhere i have a clip where i added muzzleFlash to my friends airsoft gun, and didnt change the sound, if you want it i can send it, lemme try to find it. Email me rizien@yahoo.com

thanks for your help everyone, i'm going to look into these airsoft guns, they look like they're the go. But another problem arises, I've never used After Effects before, I have access to it at school but I've never used it, is there a tutorial of some sort that could help me add the flash? If someone could point me in it's direction that would be great.

thanks

Yes there are plenty of tutorials on the net. I had a link bookmarked once but it appears to have disappeared. I'll look and see if I can't dig it up again. Try searching on Google (or other relevant search engine).

Rizien: It is at the very least wise to double check the guns - to be sure they are not loaded - before every scene. That includes the chamber as it is easy to forget.

You can buy a muzzle-flash "kit" here

You can learn an easy way to add your own flashes in Premiere here

You can also Google for a tonne of more listings, as well, if you need AE-specific tutorials. There are a lot out there.

I would suggest sticking to the original plan of using cap-guns... and adding muzzle-flash in post. I would never consider using something capable of projectile fire, no matter how small.

(I also listened to my mother, when I was a wee lad, when she said, "Never run with scissors") ;)

Ai Clive, these guns were designed to shoot people (much like paintball). The things still hurt like hell up close though so your safety suggestions are more than called for!

Back