Shia LeBeouf the Story Thief

sfoster

Staff Member
Apparently 'a film by shia lebeouf' that "played at dozens of film festivals last year including the Cannes Film Festival, but it wasn’t until it hit the web yesterday morning that keen-eyed bloggers noticed uncredited similarities between LaBeouf’s film and artist Daniel Clowes’ 2007 graphic novella Justin M. Damiano, including word-for-word dialogue and visuals lifted directly from the original."

Quote is from US Magazine. Wouldn't want you all to think I wrote it myself :no:

What really bothered me about this is that the guy HAS money, he has reputation, there is no excuse for him to do something like that. He could have easily paid for the script and given some credit to the writer. He could have helped the little guy out and given him some exposure while making his film, but instead he had to be a total jackass and take full credit for the story. Well now the guy has his exposure, and shame on shia. His reputation is forever tarnished.

What really bothered me about this is that the guy HAS money, he has reputation, there is no excuse for him to do something like that

And does he have intelligence? How can a famous guy, with money, who works in Hollywood, make something like this? Didn´t he think "oh, i better not do this, otherwise people will notice and i´m cooked"? If he didn´t think about this, he is maybe retarded.

And as you said, he´s got money. How much could it cost to buy the rights? Lool. Not that much, i think. Maybe he gotta save money to buy a new ferrari.

Just thinkin', his thoughts on his departure from both Transformers and Indiana Jones were pretty vocal and not terribly well-worded. I hope he's okay. :(

Maybe at this point, his plan is to continue plagiarizing to a point of sheer ridiculousness, and then check himself into a rehab for some sort of pathological condition. Then appeal to peoples compassion for his sickness.

Wow.

Is Shia LeBeouf the new Nick Simmons?

Maybe it's an education problem, as in, he just doesn't know or appreciate how serious plagiarism is.

Or like you suggest, Steve, hopefully it's not a sad thing, like, he's not well, or something. Is it because he's under a lot of pressure to perform, or something?

Wow.

Is Shia LeBeouf the new Nick Simmons?

Maybe it's an education problem, as in, he just doesn't know or appreciate how serious plagiarism is.

Or like you suggest, Steve, hopefully it's not a sad thing, like, he's not well, or something. Is it because he's under a lot of pressure to perform, or something?

My first thought was obviously this guy didn't go to college.. then i went to wikipedia and confirmed. Definitely makes a point for having an education, even if you're rich and famous.

I had to look up Nick Simmons and I saw this "Concerns arose in late February 2010 that Nick Simmons had plagiarized character designs, fight scenes, plot segments, dialogue, poses and expressions from both professional and amateur artists"

I was actually planning on taking a couple of moves from various fight scenes. e.g. There's a really great sweep and follow up kick in Jet Li's the enforcer. Is that wrong to use a 1-2 combo? Not talking about ripping off an entire scene or anything, just one move with one edit.

I also wouldn't think theres anything wrong with taking a pose.. that seems extreme to me

No, there can't be anything wrong with using a sweep kick that others have used. How can such a thing be copyrighted? But, you might not want to film it in exactly the same way. =D

Nick Simmon's copying appears to be a little more egregious than just using poses, though.

Check this out, for one. Know Your Meme. Or this. You can find other comparisons.

Personally, I don't know if I can get my undies in too much of a bundle over what Simmons did, really. It might be more a case of imitation being the highest form of flattery. I know when I was a kid a lot of my learning to draw was by more-or-less imitating the work of the comic artists I liked. But then none of that was published as my own. =P

No, there can't be anything wrong with using a sweep kick that others have used. How can such a thing be copyrighted? But, you might not want to film it in exactly the same way. =D

Thanks for those examples and perspective.
I would certainly be embarrassed if I filmed it in the same way, and then someone posted a side by side comparison. even if it's not illegal or plagiarism

Poor Shia is still suffering from being without Spielberg's limelight after blasting Indiana Jones 4. Without that magic cloak of Steven Spielberg's favor, Shia hasn't had a single hit and has had to rely entirely on his own talents which are failing him now.

Back