Pitching My Title

I'm new to screenwriting, as new as one can get. I've never written a screenplay and have only ever created book titles. I've been reading Blake Snyder's "Save the Cat" as a makeshift manual for creating my idea. He recommends creating a title first. Yet, I'm having a challenging time making one that seems accurate to my story while at the same time capturing the interest of the audience. Here's my "what-is-it":

"Bestie college grads become their own detectives when the local bride is murdered at a wedding they attend." Also, if you have any advice on perfecting my summary, that would be appreciated also. This is the only current title I have made up that I like:

"If Cakes Could Kill" because the bride is poisoned through her wedding cake.

Maybe my idea is crap, maybe my title is crap, maybe it's ALL crap. I don't know where to begin; I need advice!

I like your log line - it sounds like a fun story.

I always need a title, but usually end up changing it at least once.
I think If Cakes Could Kill is fine to start out with. A Killer Cake might work too.

Regardless, I wouldn't get too hung up on it - throw something on the page as a working title, then start plugging away at the screenplay

Welcome to indietalk.
Maybe my idea is crap, maybe my title is crap, maybe it's ALL crap. I don't know where to begin; I need advice!
You begin by writing. Write every day. Maybe it's ALL crap. Doesn't
matter. Write it. Use the title you have for now and write the screenplay.
If you still have the passion for this story in a week then keep writing.
At this stage it doesn't matter what others think. The only thing that
matters is that you write this screenplay.

I know you didn't come here to read that - you want someone to tell
you if your idea is good. I'll be that person. It sounds good to me. Even
the title is fine.

Welcome to IT! I'm a fan of Snyder. I tend to follow his advice to the best of my abilities.

To that end, I think I should point out that though your summary of the story is very easy to understand, Snyder would want you to rephrase it as a proper logline, something like this:

In Movie Title, Hero, on the verge of Stasis, has to overcome Obstacle in order to Save the Day. I'm paraphrasing; it's been a while since I read Save the Cat! and Save the Cat! 2.

As for the question you ask, I think maybe it might not be such a great idea to give away the ending in the title. Maybe instead of If Cakes Could Kill, you could make it If Cakes Could Talk?

I think it's also a good idea to just start asking friends/family/cast/crew for title ideas. Off the top of my head, the first title that sprang to mind was Something Blue.

You don't need to decide on your title right now. As Mara mentioned, you'll likely change it at some point. All you need right now is a working title, and the one you've got is just fine. Best of luck! :)

Don't know the genre, assuming drama, so it sounds a little Hardy Boys.

Could see it as a comedy, modern like The Hangover meets classic Silver Streak buddy interaction/sleuthing.

Exactly. When they say you need a title they mean a working title. You may write one line of dialog and part of it becomes the title.

Back