• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Adding Sound and Music to your production

So what do you use to add music, dialogue, sound effects, foley, etc to your film?

Do you use the built in audio tracks from within your editing package, or do you use an alternative piece of software like Adobe Audition for example?

The reason i ask is that my current editing package doesn't have enough tracks for laying down sound, so i'm on the look for an alternative package that allows me to create my sound experience, whilst allowing me to view/sync it with the film.

Any thoughts?

@Alcove Exactly. I think he might be mistaking a comment like "Yes we have over 1,900 individual SOUNDS playing back for a scene".

It would not be unusual to do pre-mixing (pre-dubs) of multiple sounds that make up a single sound, nor is it unusual to have "hidden" tracks (tracks that are inactive) with alternate sounds/takes/whatevers or the tracks of the pre-dub builds.

@Alcove Exactly. I think he might be mistaking a comment like "Yes we have over 1,900 individual SOUNDS playing back for a scene".

That would make more sense.

That's essentially what the comment was, though referred to in terms of 'tracks'. At least as far as I remember, I read it quite a while ago.. Where the article was I couldn't tell you off the top of my head but I'll dig around and see if I can find it.

Cool. I'm not accusing you - don't spend too much time looking for it.

@Alcove - I've had orchestra sessions that couldn't fit on a 160 channel mixboard so we had to mix them down.

Predubs often take months to do before the final mix. And even then, they are still adding tracks on the dub stage ;)

I don't think there will ever be a system that can hold as much as you want. Someone, somewhere, is going to want more tracks. It's in a scorer/sound designer/sound editor's blood.

Just think about what it was like in the 30's through the 60's; you had four or five tracks - dialog, Foley sound FX, (stereo) score. Everything was performed live to picture with no editing. And for all you visual types there was no CGI, no color correction, etc - everything had to be captured live on the set!

Back