What do you call *these* kind of festivals?

When I first started doing my film festival research, I began by rating festivals from A->D. I do not mean suitability to the film I am working with (a more important factor no doubt), but rather in terms of prestige ('to climb on the shoulders of giants'), how much they are on circuit of buyers from distribution companies, prizes, etc. This is for two reasons - firstly, I will get paid more for getting in an 'A' festival than a 'B' one; and secondly, I want the best for the filmmaker's career. But better to get *in* a mid level festival than be rejected by a top one.

While doing so I noticed by the wording, sample films and submission guidelines, that there are several kinds of festivals that stick out. And I don't mean the likes of SXSW and TIFF.

1. Ideologically motivated: It's rarely WASP male heterosexual conservatives. Such festivals usually have the honesty to be upfront about it. But often it is vague such as 'we welcome working class lesbian people of colour' instead of 'no straight Caucasian males please'. Then there is the related, but different, political *flavour* of the festival. Anarchist video 'festivals' populated by 21 year olds on skateboards stand out, but one has to dig deeper to identify the political slant, apolitical vs. very political, mixed vs. predominantly one of the major parties, secular or devout? If they don't have a political/religious agenda I want to know. If they do, I want to know. I hand it to the Christians they generally tell you upfront. Or it's obvious. Or maybe I m wrong and DocUtah isn't predominantly LDS. Or if it is the locals would like a break.

2. Commercial: Some festivals have corporate sponsors. I am not talking about that actually. I can't quite put my finger on why but when I come across some websites it takes me about five seconds to think 'the organizers of this festivals don't care about film. It's 100% a business, and for them.' But nowhere on WAB are they identified as such. I immediately take it as a bad sign if the festival uses laurel leaves on its logo and has many photos of smiling winners of trophies.

3. Geographic-centric: I could save a lot of time if this was colour-coded in the top right corner of a website, or some other at a glance identifier in a reference book. But after scrolling through or even reading every word I find out that they accept only submissions from the USA (as does Napa Valley - too bad I was looking forward to submitting), or from their state or some such. No problem, but is there a way of identifying this factor more quickly? Nothing wrong with regional and tertiary level festivals. But I just want to see this all logically organized somewhere. This is one of things I like about some Asian countries - restaurants are classified by the Health authorities by level of cleanliness. You want to eat in an 'A' level eatery? You pay more. Perhaps a film festival industry organization that has created a template?

4. State-sponsored: I mean by the political authorities not Washington state versus Rhode Island. Are most film festivals sponsored by tax-funded Arts Councils? And how to learn the 'community standards'? Or does it even matter?

5. Visual arts: Film is just part of the festival which also includes performance art and dance. I can see pros and cons to these.

6. Local cinema fests: Anyone can use the name 'festival', just like any collection of hawker of empty rooms with desks can call itself a 'college' in some places. I see festivals that are obviously some small town cinema owner or community organization bringing in old classics or niche market films for the benefit of all and to perhaps keep the cinema owner afloat in these days of downloadable films. I dislike sorting through these, separating the wheat from the chaff.

BTW, I am not critical of these kinds of festivals just trying to maneuver my way through the marketplace efficiently.

Back