How to Make an Independent Feature Film

Lol yeah, I've thought about that in the context of what I'm trying to do and wondered "what if I'm just making another Medellin here?" And then I'm comforted by the fact that I'm not a crazy, self-destructive director like Billy Walsh.

From here on out, I want to try and post at least every few weeks. I always want to have a reason for posting. I want the blog to cover the development of the project, and if I'm kind of just treading water for a while, then I don't want to over do it. With that said, I realize that a higher posting frequency will help my chances of developing an interest from others and gain momentum for the project.

It's just a balance, and over time, I'm sure I'll find it. Another thing to mention though is that financing is one of the most boring, overdone, and angst-ridden things an indie filmmaker can write about. Once we get going in preproduction, then that's when I think things will start getting exciting and hopefully a little bit more fun for people to read and learn about.

No, I understand it's a relatable problem, and thus, people are interested in hearing solutions to the problem. However, because many of us in this community are probably all too acquainted with the problem, I don't want to write about the problem itself and the psychological doom and gloom that comes with it all that much.

I want to show progression, development, hope. Unfortunately, that progression is all too often a slow burn, and figuring out what works and what doesn't work for your particular project in your particular network takes time. Hence, I have some trepidation in writing up, "Today, I did this, and tomorrow, I'm doing this" sort of posts for now. I feel some time needs to pass in the financing process for me to make helpful judgments based on my experiences to communicate to others.

May I offer a suggestion?

Think about adding your thought processes, even including ideas that didn't make the cut and why.

I'd also be interested to read your pitch to the investors that you've already pitched to and their response. Successful and unsuccessful ones.

Also, it might be worthwhile listing your filming experiences.

Oh, also, how does one follow you on Facebook? Are you dual posting to there?

An Update on my Project

It's been a while since I've visited this site. I ended up starting my own website a while back which features my real blog on there.

http://www.glowmovie.net/blog

We've started shooting and are about a third of the way done on our production for those who care to read.

I am interested in hearing what y'all think the blog is missing aka details from the filmmaking process that would be interesting to hear about that but I'm leaving out for some reason.

Hope to hear from y'all soon.

Sorry for the super late response, but at the time, I did not have my ducks in a row in terms of communication to my audience. However, I have posted the url for the main site down below in this thread.

Also, if you do care to follow the film on Facebook, here's a link to that as well: http://www.facebook.com/glowmovie

And yes, I do post a link to every blog entry on our Facebook page.

Back