Using clips of other films in my film...

I have an idea to have a character watching 'White Heat' on his sitting room TV with James Cagney delivering the famous line "Top of the world, ma!". Do I need clearance for this and if so how can I go about getting it? My character Ad libbed the line later in the movie; is this also allowed as it is an obvious reference. Thanks for your help.

Yes you need clearance with Warner Brothers for this.

You can try to go direct with Warner Bros or the smarter (and possibly cheaper) route is to find yourself a Clearing House who specialize in getting clearances for films.

Hey thanks for the responses. @MileCreations thanks for that link was helpful reading. @Sweety, thanks for that I'm looking for the correct WB email address now. @2001Productions, thanks for that, great idea, had a look and some good stuff out there, however white heat has story relevance to a character so I guess it does have to be that. But I'll search public domain for other stuff too.

Any more opinions welcome. Thanks.

@Sweety, thanks for that I'm looking for the correct WB email address now.

Call their office, ask who is the best department/person to talk to about a clearance for that movie. Find out their preferred method of contact for this (probably fax or written letter since it's most probably a part of their legal department) and contact them that way.

What the hell is "White Heat"? That's what most of your audience would say, if they were informed of the fact that your movie makes reference to it.

Your question has already been answered -- yes, you need official clearance to use any audio or video from a movie that isn't in the public domain. You don't need any clearance to use a single line, however, so your character can still say what you want them to say.

The thing is, nobody is going to get it. Do you have any idea how few people have seen the movie you're referencing?

I'm not discouraging you from referencing it, not at all. In fact, my first feature film has a new movie reference just about every five minutes. Some of them are super obvious to anyone, while some of them go unnoticed by even seasoned movie geeks. And that's exactly how I want it! So go ahead and put your White Heat reference in there, but don't expect many people to get it (even if you have clearance to show a clip from the film).

What the hell is "White Heat"? That's what most of your audience would say, if they were informed of the fact that your movie makes reference to it.

Your question has already been answered -- yes, you need official clearance to use any audio or video from a movie that isn't in the public domain. You don't need any clearance to use a single line, however, so your character can still say what you want them to say.

The thing is, nobody is going to get it. Do you have any idea how few people have seen the movie you're referencing?

I'm not discouraging you from referencing it, not at all. In fact, my first feature film has a new movie reference just about every five minutes. Some of them are super obvious to anyone, while some of them go unnoticed by even seasoned movie geeks. And that's exactly how I want it! So go ahead and put your White Heat reference in there, but don't expect many people to get it (even if you have clearance to show a clip from the film).

Hey man, my target audience is 50-80 year old's though. You don't think they'd get it? :D

The reference isn't the films title, it's the famous line 'Top of the world, ma!' And if an audience member doesn't get that reference then they probably will hate my movie anyway. ;)

Thanks for the info guys. Gonna see what I can conjure.

No! White Heat was made in 1949. Maybe the 70+ range will get it....
(I'm 52 fyi)

I'm 47 and I would get it. I'm not only familiar with the movie White Heat, I can think of two other movies right now that also include clips from that film and reference the same line.

Here's an idea . . . why don't you create your own version of the clip yourself using an actor and a process screen and have him utter the same lines. You can comp in the tanks/fire/explosion, and process the clip to look like an old B&W video transfer of the film. If anyone says it's too close . . hey, it's a parody. That way you'll get the point across without having to beg (and pay) Warner Brothers for permission to use their clip.

Last edited:
Back