Using the BBC logo in a satire/dystopian 2019 broadcast.

I want to use the image of the BBC in a futuristic dystopian paraody/satire party political broadcast. Imagine a mass mind control commercial in the year 2019.

Audio rough draft snippet (mock subliminal propaganda):

Thanks Tom, more cricket tomorrow. Now on B B C Atlantic, a global update, from the Liberal Democrats.

One World, One Currency, One Mind, One Voice, One Power,

Do not use unstable freedom technology. Home grown food contains lethal bacteria.

Visuals:

I would like to use their spinning logo or make my own.

I am balanced somewhere between satire and parody and I know that there's a legal difference. Of course, eventually I will ask permission. I'm just doing test edits right now. I think this is one of those areas where technically it's illegal, but I will probably get away with it.

I can't see the BBC as being very litigious, but I could be wrong.

It's not essential, I will make a substitute if I have to.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Yeah that's easily done. Changing it could be even better...

I think with copyright you have to consider the nature of each individual organisation. I think the BBC are unlikely to sue, really unlikely.

I will check out their FAQ as I'm sure this isn't the first time.

I think the BBC are unlikely to sue, really unlikely.
Even if this is true, in the unlikely event that a company sues you, then you have to spend upwards of $100,000 to defend yourself. Even if you win your case, you cannot collect the attorney fees that you spent defending yourself.
And even if nobody will sue you, in the unlikely event that you look to sign with a distributor, clearance issues like this one can be the sticking point that prevents the deal from going through, or it might jack up the cost of errors and omissions insurance.
So there's really no such thing as freedom of speech when it comes to making indie movies due to this chilling effect.

But it's not simply using their image.

If you attach that image to a news broadcast that is in any way, even satirical, party political then I'm sure they would have a problem with it.

Not worth doing. I don't know where you've got this confidence that the BBCs not very litigious from! You're not British, are you? :D

Fair enough. I see your points... I always ask copyright questions here cos my gut feeling's normally wrong. I'm paranoid when I don't need to be, and relaxed when I should be on guard. I appreciate your warnings and I'll heed the advice.

I don't know where you've got this confidence that the BBCs not very litigious from...

I think it's likely that they would just send a cease and desist. They might have even let it go.
I don't think it looks very good for a company like the Beeb to go round suing people. It'd be terrible PR. But it's not my call, and I'll play it safe.

Would BBE be fine, or could they still make a case?

I might just call it the British World Media Service or something, if that'll help me sleep easy. The narrator has a plummy British accent.

Can anyone think of any other suitably hammed up names for a Dystopian Future British Media Corp?

Oh, another question. Would I have similar problems if I used the name Liberal Democrats?

I guess so. I'll change that too. I'll cost me all of 3 Euros.

I'll call it the Liberal Conservative Party.

Oh, and does anyone know a realistic losing cricket score?

I just need: (number) not out.

So 212 not out

Is that realistic?

I'm assuming that you don't really understand cricket because 212 not out isn't a score.

Here is a hypothetical cricket score:

TEAM A: 1st Innings 112 All Out
TEAM B: 1st Innings 456 All Out
TEAM A: 2nd Innings 165 All Out

TEAM B win by an Innings and 179 runs.

Alternatively a score for an ODI might be:

TEAM A: 265 All out
TEAM B: 266 for 4

TEAM B win by 6 wickets.

Also on the subject of the Liberal Conservatives:

I don't think you can/should use The Liberal Democrat party.

Liberal Conservative should be fine except for the fact that it's an oxymoron. You might also have a problem because at the moment we have a Conservative/LibDem coalition, so it might sound as if you are referring/criticising that coalition specifically...

Best stear clear of ambiguity where possible.

Hope this helps.

Caught at silly mid on, three hundred and twelve. Not out.

This makes even less sense! :D

Americans love that Cricket has funny words in it. Silly mid on is fielding position and therefore if someone is 'caught at silly mid on' that account for one of the ten wickets you need to take to end an innings (in a test match) or end the match (in a one day).

'Three Hundred and twelve, not out' is an individual score. For example, Mr. Positive Future who plays for Yorkshire might score three hundred and twelve runs and at the end of the innings had not gotten out. Therefore he would be not out. So putting 'caught at silly mid on' and '312 not out' makes absolutely no sense.

I'm assuming that you don't really understand cricket because 212 not out isn't a score.

Correct, that's why I'm asking...

I need something really quick, just the tail end of a broadcast. 5 words or so. How the last batsman got caught and the score...

So:

caught at silly mid on... Shropshire win by 6 wickets.

caught at silly mid on... Shropshire 132 all out

caught at silly mid on... Shropshire win by 32 runs

Closer? Is that natural wording?

Liberal Conservative should be fine except for the fact that it's an oxymoron

That's good, makes it better. It can have a slightly surreal or contradictory air, that's why I chose those two.

You might also have a problem because at the moment we have a Conservative/LibDem coalition, so it might sound as if you are referring/criticising that coalition specifically...

I thought of that. I think it'll be fine... I'm just showing rough cuts on a few forums for now. I can change it later.

John Doe's dismissal, caught at silly mid on, signalled the end of the Shropshire innings leaving them 243 all out and condemning them to a three wicket loss.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll use that exact phrase, except use the name Bill Bumpton instead.

John Doe's dismissal, caught at silly mid on, signalled the end of the Shropshire innings leaving them 243 all out and condemning them to a loss by fifteen runs.

Please use this amended version. I must have been accidentally smoking crack when I wrote that first one because if they bat second and are all out they can't lose by three wickets. I'll hold my hands up and say that's a sloppy error.

Back