Helping hand thread....it's all about networking

To a degree, yes but there is a distinct technical difference that is very important when you go to color correct an image :).

Using the "contrast" controls on your image pushes your shadows darker and your highlights lighter. Thus you run a serious risk of clipping yout values at either end of the spectrum. Gamma on the other hand only manipulates the midtones which is much more useful and will not lead to clipping (unless you push the image farther than its bit depth can handle). That's why using the built in "contrast" and "brightness" controls in your NLE will produce marginal results at best. You're already starting with a low 8 bit image - any alteration to the shadows or highlights will very quickly clip your image data. It's hard not to clip the image even when adjusting gamma due to the crappy 8bits! Interestingly there are people out there who are working on "mods" for DV cameras (specifically the DVX100A) that grab the image directly off of the CCDs giving a much more useful 12bit image.

Time Permitting and as long as it doesn’t interfere with current projects. Were happy to lend a hand with what ever, anyone might need help on.

Gettysburg, PA

Equipment on hand, (2) Sony DV2100 Cams, Dual G5 Apple with FCP 4, LiveType & SoundTrack, DVD Pro 2, a bunch of microphones (wired & wireless) plus homemade booms and what ever else we can get are greedy little hands on.

The Summer is bad for us, But anytime after September we’ll have more free time.

Editing, general production stuff, shooting (using mini-DV and provided they cover tape cost) and helping out in general, provided I have time. I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Design Work

I would be willing to help with design work (poster graphics, layout, promotions, etc) free of charge if given plenty of lead time. I work, own a small business, and have a wife and child, so plenty of notice is needed. I also do ok traditional fx (check out the pics for the film Mallow on my site www.bigfootproductions.net) and could give advice on how to go about creating your own. I am in Lafayette, Louisiana. Anyone in my area or within a 3 hour drive I would be willing to help in any way that I can if you pay the gas.

I'm currently out of Asheville, NC and will work for food. I would be willing to direct and/or do anything in the camera department especially cinematography, providing I like the story being told. I'm also a photographer and will shoot productions stills at cost for all my indie friends.

Katie

P.S. - I'll be in LA for 2 weeks 9/22/04 - 10/6/04 and will be attending the shocker film festival in Modesto from 9/24/04 - 9/26/04

Schedule permitting, I can maybe assist in preproduction, since I'm at that stage of my project right now. I can also assist the director on set as long as it is not carrying heavy stuff around.

I'm based in Los Angeles

hmm, i've never really checked the networking lounge. But..if anyone in ohio (I'm basically in Cincinnati, but am willing to drive) wants to do something heres what i can do:

Camera Operate ( i own a Panasonic Ag-DVX100a)
Edit (I'm new to it, so you might want to get someone better than me, but i own Premiere Pro)
Direct/Act.
I can do basically anything, but those are what i own and could do By myself(without outside help/funding/whatever)

I'm always down for making new movies/shorts. So PM me or Email me at rizien@gmail.com if you have something in mind.

Hi there, I am from Ohio [see other thread in this topic]. Here is what I can do:

Edit video: I am experienced with Premiere 6.0 and up. I am a natural editor and love to do it. Can and want to learn Final Cut Pro.
Write: I haven written a few scripts, but nothing major.
Direct: Have directed 3 different shorts/films/music videos. Would love to direct more.
Motion Graphics: I can do opening title sequences and much more with Adobe After Effects
Effects Work: Know 3d Studio Max and a little Maya. Know After Effects pretty well. Not generally my favorite aspect to work on. Would rather edit video.
Graphic Design: Can make attractive flyers, designs, logos, etc.
Web Design: Can make good looking and functional web sites for whatever
ANYTHING ELSE: It really doesn't matter. I can and will do whatever I can. I love making films. Let me get you coffee as long as I can be there :)

The best thing to do is check out my work: http://www.mylkhead.com
I did every aspect that you see except for acting.

If you are from Ohio, check out my other thread in this topic. Maybe we can form a filmmakers group or club or something. Sounds cool!

Last edited:
I'd be gaffer or assistant. I've got an LTM Full Spectrum Pepper Kit. If it was a longish shoot, I would expect lamp replacements when thy burned out and I'd want to be fed.

Alright, well here's my shpeal.

I am an experience editor, used Final Cut pro since version 2, have edited numerous projects in DV, several in 24P (using reverse telecine with cinematools) and a few HD projects as well. My biggest strength in filmmaking would have to be editing. . .
I also enjoy directing, directing and editing go hand in hand very well, I direct to edit basically.
I'm fluent in all apple programs. Final Cut (and all it's included "sub" programs), DVD Studio 3 (LOVE it!), Motion, and a bit of Shake (still learning).
For anyone in the Fresno area or northern LA, I'm usually up for projects! I love the entire process, but my skills are most developed in editing. Edited several formats, DV, 24P (reverse telecine, good stuff) as well as a few HD projects. And DVDs are really fun to make too. . . Are there any other editing fanatics in LA or Fresno areas?

I've done work in all the production areas as well (lighting, sound, camera) so I like to help out if needed.

to see my editing check out my web site at http://homepage.mac.com/directorlca

anyway, that's it for now!

:yes: Yes Of course I would help in all, and any aspect. I'm based in Las Vegas, and out here you don't run into many filmmakers. I know there out there but, it's not LA. Well I'm actually looking for help myself, always. I'm working on a new short just in the writting process right now. Also my show VegasIndiesTv I could use some help there. So if anyone is in the Vegas area just drop me a line.

NIce Thread IndieTalk thanks :yes:

indietalk said:
The Networking Lounge is all about networking!

Anyone that's ever produced a film has been in a jam, in one way or another. Wheter it's the make-up artist not showing up on the set, or the lighting company you are dealing with running out of lights.

Anyway ... I thought it would be interesting if you could reply to this thread with two things.

I just PA'ed on someone else's feature for thirteen hours straight this last Sat. and Sun. and agreed to work for free for them as many days as I can for the next two months. So, here are my answers to these questions:

indietalk said:
1) What would you be willing to do for free or low pay to help out on another member's production?

PA, since I don't have a lot of experience on set. I've PA'ed, wrangled extras, scouted locations, and extra'ed on another feature, but that's it.

indietalk said:
2) What is your location?

I'm in San Francisco. If the project fits into my schedule, I'll volunteer my time for a few days, but after that, I have to really like the project or crew to work for free longer.

pronnes

lynn lane

Lynn Lane said:
I'm in NYC and would be willing to help out in various ways depending on my schedule etc.

hello

lynn i'd like to take you up on your offer. for your film making service or anyone in the nj/ny area. i emailed you but i don't think it went through.

sergio @ 862-668-7265

Back