• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How can I describe the setting well?

Setting. An important part of the movie, series’ episode or whatever you want to write. But how can you describe it in the screenplay efficiently. I mean it must be recognizable! Can you imagine “Jurassic Park” without the park? Can you imagine “Harry Potter” without Hogwarts? No? Good. So, how can I describe the setting in the screenplay? If you want write an example, you can maybe write about a … a … err … a headquarter of a famous fiction secret service.

To be honest, I don't even understand the question, but first, you need to figure out what you are writing about, what the story is and then you finalize the setting. It's better that way than to figure one out, out of thin air. Most times when you have a story the setting comes automatically. I believe you're thinking too hard when it comes to screenwriting. It's good, but unnecessary.

@Quality I don’t like to write "They are in the living room with a pink sofa..." or so always. I wanna write it with more details. You know. The director, actor, etc. shall feel the scene. And that means also a better setting description.

Setting. An important part of the movie, series’ episode or whatever you want to write. But how can you describe it in the screenplay efficiently. I mean it must be recognizable! Can you imagine “Jurassic Park” without the park? Can you imagine “Harry Potter” without Hogwarts? No? Good. So, how can I describe the setting in the screenplay? If you want write an example, you can maybe write about a … a … err … a headquarter of a famous fiction secret service.
You should read the Jurassic Park screenplay to get an understanding
on how the park was described. The opening scene in the screenplay:
“Through the impenetrable jungle, a JEEP bounces over a rugged muddy road.”

Later on (page 33), the first description of the park:
“Between massive tree trunks, a spectacular view: the sun sinks toward a misty horizon. The lagoon ripples in the pink crescents. A herd of duck-billed HADROSAURS grazes at the edge of the lagoon. They stand on their hind legs to get at high palm trees, then drop gracefully back down on all fours to chew. BABY HADROSAURS scamper around the adults, eating leaves that drop from the larger animals. A classic, tranquil dinosaur scene--- it could be taken from any children's book.”

I couldn't find the Harry Potter screenplay.

In a screenplay you only write what is seen in each scene so a screenwriter
will not establish the entire setting as a novelist might. The entire park
was not described all at once. Each scene is described as the story needs it.

@Quality I don’t like to write "They are in the living room with a pink sofa..." or so always. I wanna write it with more details. You know. The director, actor, etc. shall feel the scene. And that means also a better setting description.
You are correct, "They are in the living room with a pink sofa..." is not good
writing. Try again. Show us how you might make the director, actors and
other feel the scene.

@directorik like this=

Int. Max’ house, living room. – Evening

The living room is cozy and huge. The owner has a good taste. MAX (37) sits next to his date JEMMA (36) before the TV. The pink sofa, where they sit, is very soft, comfortable and what’s more, it’s perfect to watch a movie without being stressed. Blue and white flicker alternately. They immerse the room in a dark atmosphere.

WOMAN
(from the TV; screaming)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Jemma huddles up against Max. Max claps in Jemma’s arms. She takes the movie too seriously.

That's much better. It sets the scene well.

“The owner has good taste.” - doesn't say anything useful. Perhaps
give a couple of examples of his taste. “Good taste” is subjective.
What is good taste to you may be different than what is good taste
to me. Don't over do it, but give the reader a little feel of what Max's
taste is.

What rik means is good taste is subjective, so, the reader of your screenplay may disagree with that sentiment. So just leave out the good taste line, and describe things that make you feel he has good taste.

Rather than tell the reader he has good taste, show the reader he
has good taste.

Does a shelf full of fantasy and SciFi books show good taste to you?
If that's it, then that's just fine. Is there anything else in the room
that shows his personality and his taste?

You say the room is huge – is there only one small table and a couch
in there? Is the furniture vintage or modern. Is there a mix? Does he
have any art on the walls?

That Jurassic Park scene is 83 words. Try using 70 to 90 words to give
the reader (and director, actors, etc.) a feel of what the living room
looks like.
@indietalk So...what’s your taste?
This isn't about indietalks taste. You have to give us an insight to
Max's taste.

Is it 50s mod, contemporary, traditional, craftsman, Victorian, modern, stark, dank, bright, warm, cold, cluttered, meticulous, etc?

So are you done with this question? Are you not going to try out a new version?
Are you just going to drop it?

We offer help and you just move on to the next question.

@directorik Here:

The living room is cozy and huge. The owner has a good taste. The modern style of the apartment supports this opinion. A huge window behind the pink sofa, which shows Manhattan’s skyline, lime green walls, dark wooden floor, shelves and tables, an artful vase, and last but not least the huge plant. MAX (37) sits next to his date JEMMA (36) before the TV. The pink sofa, where they sit, is very soft, comfortable and what’s more, it’s perfect to watch a movie without being stressed. Blue and white flicker alternately. They immerse the room in a dark atmosphere.

WOMAN
(from the TV; screaming)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Jemma huddles up against Max. Max claps in Jemma’s arms. She takes the movie too seriously.

The living room is cozy and huge. The owner has a good taste. The modern style of the apartment supports this opinion. A huge window behind the pink sofa, which shows Manhattan’s skyline, lime green walls, dark wooden floor, shelves and tables, an artful vase, and last but not least the huge plant. MAX (37) sits next to his date JEMMA (36) before the TV. The pink sofa, where they sit, is very soft, comfortable and what’s more, it’s perfect to watch a movie without being stressed. Blue and white flicker alternately. They immerse the room in a dark atmosphere.
You're getting there.

Try a version with less "telling". Only write what can be seen.
"The owner has a good taste. The modern style of the apartment supports this opinion."
Two sentences, fifteen wasted words.

This is a great place to ask questions and learn. I often wonder if you
are even reading the answers because you usually stop responding after
people answer your questions. It might be nice to every once in a while
thank those who help and to answer questions we pose to you. It doesn't
hurt to let us know if we are helping.

Back