• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Can't stop writing - is it a drug?

I've got 2 finished scripts. One is a Sci-Fi and other is a drama that I want to turn into a comedy. Everyday I query to some producers or agents about my script. I'm also co-directing an Israeli short Sci-Fi film, working on an iPhone App, working in a warehouse and studying in a university. I'm a very busy person, but still, new ideas come to my mind, and I want to write another script. Luckily, I don't have a girlfriend at this moment. When I had, she was stealing most of my time. But that's not the issue.

I've got enough things to do, so I'm not going to begin a new script... but I want to! The question is - should I keep it for a better time, or should I begin and not hold my passion back?

Only you know the answer to that question. Only you know how much time and energy you could really dedicate to writing, and only you know how well you can conserve your inspiration (or how likely you could bring it back when the time is right).

Hope this helps.

But I bet it doesn't, ha ha!

Well, I guess there are people who were given a choice, whether to write on and on or wait till they do something with their first script.

Ah, you've never done anything with a script before? Then maybe wait.

Personally I've found it very beneficial to have my writing appear on the screen. It put the fear of god in me about things that might not work in future scripts.

Ah, you've never done anything with a script before? Then maybe wait.

Personally I've found it very beneficial to have my writing appear on the screen. It put the fear of god in me about things that might not work in future scripts.

I've thought of that too. If I write 999+ scripts before I know what might work and what might not, that can be a big frustration.

Yeah, write write write. If you don't want to write, if it's not important to you, then don't. But sounds like you do and it is. So if you want "to be a writer," then write all the time. That's how you'll get better at it. Be glad that you have a passion for something.

I see no reason to put it off. If later on you decide that it could be better or that you can't practically film it as is, you can rewrite it.

Back