• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Iron Man 4 Fake Preview

For some reason I felt like I was watching miniatures

Probably because most modern CGI work is pretty gritty and greyish. This short has kept the very saturated reds in Iron Mans suit that were more commonly used in the miniature era.

Ontopic: I thought it was pretty fastastic, but there were a few minor misses here and there. I'll point them out wether you like it or not, hope it helps, but I think most people will enjoy the piece regardless.

In the opening shot (0;36) I'd add a little more defocus on the background, it feels too sharp. Secondly, I'd remove some of the ground around the castle on the right hand side, and replace it with the ground from the foreground. It feels a little photoshopped at the moment because the strong luminance contrast. Finally I'd lift the colours on Iron Man a little bit, he feels a tat too dark.

The shot at 0:46 is probably the weakest of the bunch, both CGI elements don't really hold up well if zoomed in this much, so I'd opt for a slightly wider shot. The ground really needs some kind of bump mapping to hold up well. Lastly I'd add an ambient-occlusion-like drop shadow around the feet, and soften the rest of the shadow a bit. Probably also gain up the shadow area.

The colours of the shots around the 1 minute mark are a bit off. The foreground matches the saturated red look of the Iron Man CGI, while the background has a very desaturated blue-ish hue. I'd grade it to match and up the saturation. You can always lift it a bit later to create the idea of distance.

The shot at 0;51 is really cool, loved that. The shot at 1;46 is also really nice, and lighting-wise probably matches the look of Hollywood's Iron Man. However, it doesn't really sit well within the edit, the shots before and after have a far more saturated look.

Last edited:
Probably because most modern CGI work is pretty gritty and greyish. This short has kept the very saturated reds in Iron Mans suit that were more commonly used in the miniature era.

Ontopic: I thought it was pretty fastastic, but there were a few minor misses here and there. I'll point them out wether you like it or not, hope it helps, but I think most people will enjoy the piece regardless.

In the opening shot (0;36) I'd add a little more defocus on the background, it feels too sharp. Secondly, I'd remove some of the ground around the castle on the right hand side, and replace it with the ground from the foreground. It feels a little photoshopped at the moment because the strong luminance contrast. Finally I'd lift the colours on Iron Man a little bit, he feels a tat too dark.

The shot at 0:46 is probably the weakest of the bunch, both CGI elements don't really hold up well if zoomed in this much, so I'd opt for a slightly wider shot. The ground really needs some kind of bump mapping to hold up well. Lastly I'd add an ambient-occlusion-like drop shadow around the feet, and soften the rest of the shadow a bit. Probably also gain up the shadow area.

The colours of the shots around the 1 minute mark are a bit off. The foreground matches the saturated red look of the Iron Man CGI, while the background has a very desaturated blue-ish hue. I'd grade it to match and up the saturation. You can always lift it a bit later to create the idea of distance.

The shot at 0;51 is really cool, loved that. The shot at 1;46 is also really nice, and lighting-wise probably matches the look of Hollywood's Iron Man. However, it doesn't really sit well within the edit, the shots before and after have a far more saturated look.

Thanks for the critique. I appreciate the feedback on what I can do to improve the shots. You up for another one? I'd like your feedback on this one that I posted last year in December. Ended up posting it in the wrong section of the forum but here's the link to the thread :)
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=51460

I'd like more, but perhaps your next short should be a self-contained story.

May I ask how much each video costs? I'm asking because I'm thinking of doing the same myself. :)

Thanks for the critique. I appreciate the feedback on what I can do to improve the shots. You up for another one? I'd like your feedback on this one that I posted last year in December. Ended up posting it in the wrong section of the forum but here's the link to the thread :)
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=51460

Yeah sure, Didn't see this until now. but lets give it a try...

Right off the bat the first shot at 0:29 doesn't really hold up texture wise. Needs higher resolution to work well.... Shot feels a bit blue-ish, might want to grade it a bit more realistic. Also, a sharp reflection on the helmet might work perfectly to distract from the not-so-great texture resolution.

Second shot at :39, same thing. Reflections int he windows would add to the scene. Composition isn't really optimal as well. I really like superman in this shot, but the background could be framed better.

Third shot... not sure what's going on with all the dust particles everywhere.... Also not sure why the left side is so dark? Are you trying to imitate a spotlight? In that case you really need to work with volume scattering, not do it this way. It looks funkay.
The top lighting is very scenic but it feels there would be more ambient lighting in the shadow areas. Not a big fan of the background here and the way its lit. It feels like the concrete-like-textured background is not rendered as part of the super-man scene, but comped in from an image... I do really like the look of the dust-buster-like-object in the right bottom though. Thats some good shit.
As far as the spiderman look goes: He's got so many holes that you kinda lose focus. I think i'd be more efficient to have a few holes with a lot of blood/dust eroding from them. Make it less, but make whats there more gore-y.

shot at 0:58 has one of the best (and simplest) backgrounds so far. Foreground is suffers from very dull lighting. Although it can't save it, proper reflection could really distract from the dull lighting, but your helmet would really need some solid specular/reflection maps for that to work.

The next few shots of the release are really well done (I'm just not a big fan of the huge lens flares, but thats personal i guess). In the first shot the smoke feels like it lacks green on the side, while being more greenish in the middle. You should check your green levels there.
shot at 1:08 is kinda confusing. You're expecting the earth to be blue because it has been in all shots and then you get this totally different earth which is black and white and with a lot of lights. Doesn't really work, and if there's so much shit going in the foreground, it would be faaaar more defocused. I would simplly go with the previously used blue earth and keep the shot simpler. More focused. Smoke is cool though, props for that.
The shot at 1:24 is amazing, but the camera move is waaay too fast. Slow that shit down. Make a nice dramatic camera move.

The shot at 1:41.... The eye should be focused on the spacecraft, but the city lights distract. It feels fake. Look at references. The lights wouldn't be so strong from this distance, and probably cover a bigger area. However, I would consider leaving them out alltogether.

Closing shot is very nice. Couple things: You can feel that the sky is fake. You should try projecting various clouds on cards and creating a realistic sky that way. It looks good the way it is, but you can just feel the movement is off, and lacks threedimensionality.

The final explosion needs a lot of tweaking colorwise. First off the ground wouldn't be so dark with the rather light sky that you've got going on. Secondly your smoke is very grey for the blue-ish light that it would be lit with that comes from the clouds. Finall your explosion is very blown out. Id opt for a more detailed explosion but work with a longer glow or subtle godray effect. Finally, id opt for a slightly heavier camera shake on impact.

Hope that helps again :)

Back