Getting an Agent

Who here has an agent? If you have an agent, what do you do in the business? And, how did you go about getting signed?

Someone asked me a year ago if I had an agent, and the thought has stuck with me that perhaps that is a route to go. Thoughts?

I could go one of a couple of ways on that. Director certainly, but I try to be multi-faceted, so that I work on others' things as well. Make-up and wardrobe are certainly skill sets I possess, and I have worked in quite a few depts.

I am not so choosey as to say I only want representation as a director. I just want to work.

Screenwriting...

Lilith said:
Who here has an agent? If you have an agent, what do you do in the business? And, how did you go about getting signed?

Someone asked me a year ago if I had an agent, and the thought has stuck with me that perhaps that is a route to go. Thoughts?
I can only speak about screenwriting at this point in time... I just signed with an agency in October... We've had several meetings as to "where" I want my career to head towards... I thought the meetings were quite helpful and now we've got somewhat of a plan to get to where I want to go within the next 3 years...

We'll be revisiting this plan monthly on the phone as well as in person every couple of months...
When you first get an agent, you're really going to be having a ton of meetings IF your agent knows what they're doing... I'm having meetings in person AND on the phone i.e., conference calls.

Once the meetings are accomplished, you can then browse the studio projects... Most of which, pay at least $250K and go up from there...

I do know this... If you're a screenwriter, having an agent is quite necessary to get your name out there...

filmy

Lilith said:
I could go one of a couple of ways on that. Director certainly, but I try to be multi-faceted, so that I work on others' things as well. Make-up and wardrobe are certainly skill sets I possess, and I have worked in quite a few depts.

I am not so choosey as to say I only want representation as a director. I just want to work.
A very important thing to consider when searching for an agent is they usually specialize. You may not be choosey - but agents are.

Another thing to know is agents don't get their clients work - they broker the deal.

I have an agent who represents screenwriters. Since I'm also a director, she will go over contracts I get as a director. I also work as a pyrotechnician and sometimes as a camera operator - she has never helped me out with my "craft" contracts. I don't know if there are agents that represent make-up and wardrobe - I worked for many years in make-up effects and never heard of agents for us.

Anyone else know?

Some Tips on Finding a Screenwriting Agent

You have a better chance of landing an agent for your screenplay if you have previous screenwriting experience.

It doesn't matter if you've written a screenplay for an amateur production. So, before you go out and look for a screenwriting agent, try to get some screenwriting credentials first.

You may want to write a screenplay for a short movie and even direct the movie yourself and enter the movie in a festival.

When you do this, you can mention your screenwriting experience in your resume you submit to the agent and show him you know your stuff.

Read this article for more tips on finding a screenwriting agent.

Last edited:
Back