Turning up Audio in post?

Some of my cast members are low talkes, no matter how many times I advise them to speak up they are still low speaking. That being said their voice on the audio levels reaches at about -40 very worried about it. can I turn it up the master volume in post without the risk of getting any noise?

I think i remember hearing a phrase saying " you can always turn up, but not turn down" but I am not sure if it is the other way around or not now.

Some of my cast members are low talkes, no matter how many times I advise them to speak up they are still low speaking. That being said their voice on the audio levels reaches at about -40 very worried about it. can I turn it up the master volume in post without the risk of getting any noise?

Short answer: No. Raising the volume also raises the noise floor.

Long answer: There are ways to minimize/disguise said noise. Too big a subject for me to cover here. Besides, there are others (Alcove, APE) who are much more knowledgeable about such things.

I think i remember hearing a phrase saying " you can always turn up, but not turn down" but I am not sure if it is the other way around or not now.

I think they mean you can't fix distorted audio.

I think I remember hearing a phrase saying "you can always turn up, but not turn down" but I am not sure if it is the other way around or not now.

You can always turn it down; turning it up increases the background noise. When we recorded to analog tape we always made the levels as hot as possible to reduce the presence of the tape hiss.

Some of my cast members are low talkers, no matter how many times I advise them to speak up they are still low speaking. That being said their voice on the audio levels reaches at about -40 very worried about it.

Okay, are you aiming the mic directly at the actors, or just sticking it midway between them? By aiming at the actors you will get more dialog level and less background noise. Are you doing everything you can to get the mic in as close as possible? Because it's your job as boom-op/PSM to get good production sound, whether they are shouters or whisperers. Granted it's not always possible, but that's the gig. (BTW, make sure that you record yourself asking the talent to speak louder so your dialog editor and the rerecording mixer don't curse your name.) When the last shot of each scene is complete what you need to do is capture copious dialog wilds up close; they are still in character and still "in the groove" of the performance. (This will get you the blessings of the dialog editor. The producer will also love you - s/he may not have to pay for ADR sessions.)

Also, this is one of those situations where lavs can help.

Can I turn it up the master volume in post without the risk of getting any noise?

Of course not; "Ya canna defy the laws of physics, Captain!" However, iZotope RX2 is relatively affordable at $250, RX2 Advanced is a great buy at $1k, and the demo version is fully functional for 30 days.

Fuck! now i am worried that what I have been doing the past 2 weeks is ruined.

Yes I get the mic as close as I can get without being in the shot. Hell, I had to do some retakes because I was in the shot, haha, I mean it's not like I can't hear them at all when I replay the clip on my recorder. but on my computer, I do have to turn in up a bit. My gain level has been at about 5, anything past that I start to get some really noticeable hissing but now I am thinking I should of just gotten bad hissing and a higher voice level so I could get rid of the noise rather then having to worry about the noise levels when turning up the master volume.

Anyways, I have been looking into audio programs so weird that you mentioned it up above. What one would you recommend? would they be able to help my current situation?

Thanks guys, just gona reshoot. Thankfully the scenes are short and require no light set ups or nothing, i;ll just turn up the gain a little bit more. I forgot about turning up the gain, yes I know, noob mistake. but on shoot days I am running on an hour of sleep usually. I am thankfull that my cast is willing to do reshoots when I am not paying them, i am feeding them though with what I can afford.

... i;ll just turn up the gain a little bit more. I forgot about turning up the gain, yes I know, noob mistake... I am thankfull that my cast is willing to do reshoots...
Cranking up the gain is going to give more noise that maybe can be filtered out later.

However, consider inviting the "low talker" to come review some of the footage with you, while you're trying to edit what you already have.
Let the "low talker" see and hear precisely the problem and its scope that the low talking is creating.
Then ask "please, purty please, with sugar on top - SPEAK THE-F#CK UP!"
But in a nice way, of course.

Often leaders expect their people to just magically understand things that they have little to no idea about how their actions or inactions affect a greater scope of things.

A little bit of experience sometimes goes a lot farther than a little bit of tongue wagging.

Different stroke for different folks.

tighter shots with the mic closer ???

Do you master wide shot.
Then re shoot the scene with closeups, you can frame very tight so the mic is just 10 or so inches away this should pick up the whistling of nose hairs :) so a soft talker should be no trouble.

Last edited:
I see quite often on indietalk questions or problems regarding recording levels. There seems to be quite a few posts asking or stating what should be the correct recording levels. As Alcove stated, in the days of location tape recorders levels were important because of the high noise when recording to tape but today we have 24bit digital recording and levels are far less important. What you need to be concentrating on is the SNR (signal to noise ratio)! In fact SNR has always been what you need to concentrate on, the reason recording high levels on tape was important was to increase the SNR.

By way of an example, let's say your signal (the dialogue) peaks at -20dB and let's say the noise floor is at -40dB. The SNR is therefore 20dB. Increasing the gain on your mic pre so the dialogue peaks at say -6dB does not improve the SNR because increasing the gain doesn't just make the dialogue 14dB louder, it makes everything which enters the mic 14dB louder, including the noise floor which would now be at -26dB. There is an added consideration though, whacking the gain up on the mic pre is going to increase the amount of noise generated by the mic pre itself. Therefore, depending on the quality of the mic pre, whacking the gain up may make the dialogue sound louder but could actually decrease (make worse) the SNR!

Having said all of this, your stated your signal (dialogue) is peaking at -40dB which is extremely low and could be a problem: Let's say the SNR is 20dB again, meaning your noise floor is at -60dB. At this low level we are likely to be getting close to the point of the self noise generated by a budget recorder and mic combo and therefore could be noticeably reducing our SNR. So while we need to pay far less attention to our recording levels than we once did, we still still have a window of opportunity to achieve, which is well above the level of self noise of the recorder/mic combo but below the level which causes the mic-pre to reduce the SNR.

You always want to be increasing the SNR entering the mic and there are 3 obvious ways to achieve this: 1. Get the mic closer to the signal source (actor's mouth), 2. Decease the ambient noise and 3. Increase the strength of the source signal (make the actor speak louder).

Removing noise in post is generally not a simple procedure and there is always a price to pay because removing the noise also involves removing parts of the signal which is wanted. As noise varies from location to location and often even varies in the same location from moment to moment, there is no one way and no one best tool to remove it. Sometimes one tool (piece of software) removes the noise better and on another occasion that same piece of software may perform noticeably worse.

G

Back