Producers salaries

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone here could explain to me about producers salaries?
I've been thinking for months about becoming a film producer and there are things I don't know.

First, I've heard some producers earn a % of the production budget + a % of the film profits.
I've also heard ppl say that producers ONLY earn money if the movie makes profits. This wouldn't be a good deal since most indie films lose money.

Are producers well paid?

How much would a guild (Producers Guild of America) producer would charge for a movie?

Sincerely.

From what I know, most people in the arts make frugal living, with no steady income. That's as true for film producers as it is for film directors. The technicians, however, may find steady work.

Thanks for the response and links guys, but I am more interested in knowing if producers charge a % of the production budget, and if they do in what % range.
Also, are guild producers paid a lot more?

Hmm, the first link states that the median salary is about $68,000, but it also says many hold another job to earn a living. This implies the $68,000 is not all due to being a producer or director but is instead from that second job.

Typically, the producer is the person who organizes the project, secures funding and hires everyone else, so s/he is paid whatever s/he budgets for him/herself. A producer who does not do so in a realistic fashion will not be doing it for very long.

“Producer” can mean many different things so there is no general
answer. There are producers who find the money for a project, there
are producers who are a business partner in a prodCo, there are
producers who earn a salary.

A producer of a small, independently made movie may work for
nothing - getting a percentage of the sale.

A “partner” producer may get a small fee and then a percentage of
the sale and profits.

A studio producer will get a fee and a percentage of the profits.

I am more interested in knowing if producers charge a % of the production budget, and if they do in what % range.
Also, are guild producers paid a lot more?
Some will charge a percentage of the production budget. That could
be as low as .5% to as high as 6/8%. It would depend on the person
(their experience) and the project. The Producers Guild does not set
wages like the WGA or DGA does. From their website: ”The PGA does
not have an industry-wide Minimum Basic Agreement at this time, so
pay rates are subject to negotiation in one's Personal Service Contract.”

So if you want to become a producer you will set your pay and your
percentage of sale and profits for each project you produce.

Back