• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best way to prevent Condensation on Camera's.

Just wondering what is the best way to prevent condensation on camera and lenes when moving from hot to cold places or vise versa? the same goes for my mic (NTG2) and feild recorder (PMD661)

These days extreme condensation issues are not that much of a problem, except for, perhaps, lenses; someone else will have to answer that. 20 years ago, back when I was regularly gigging, my gear (synthesizers, samplers, mixers, power amps, etc.) went from roasting or freezing trucks to air-conditioned or heated venues (and back again) five and six nights a week through humidity, extreme dryness, rain, snow, plus gigs outdoors on cool gray days and in the summers blazing sun in stadiums, in fields and on beaches. Yes, I bought really good gear, but never had any problems caused by condensation. The only thing we were ever very conscientious about was warming up the speakers gently in the winter.

The NTG-2 and PMD-661 should be fine. If it makes you feel better, pack them with desiccating (moisture absorbing) packs between uses. As I said, someone else will have to answer about the camera and lenses.

Back