Equipment in summer weather/Other questions

Hi guys, my shoot is going to be an almost all summer thing expanding well into the month of July. Where I live it can get up to 100 degrees or a little higher fahrenheit. not to mention the humidity especially since I will be filming in the woods.

This concerns me because I wonder how my equipment will handle in hot weather like that? such as my NTG2 (inside a blimp) Canon Vixa Hf G10, PMD661 what kind of danameg can be done? How can i aviod it?

Also I need to make my car look like a cop car, but lack the money for a side door decal plus once they are on, they are on for good. any suggestions on how to achieve a side door panel that says " Sheriff" on it?

Also I need to make my car look like a cop car, but lack the money for a side door decal plus once they are on, they are on for good. any suggestions on how to achieve a side door panel that says " Sheriff" on it?

Buy a car door magnet that says " Sheriff" on it. You can get these custom made at places. Selling for $10-$30 usually.

This is where I picked up some of my own for advertising on my car. Assuming you have a white car, you can make the magnet white and if you shoot well you won't even be able to tell it's a magnet :)

http://www.vistaprint.com/car-door-...+item)_Magnets_Marketing+Products&xnav=TopNav

Warm weather shouldn't be too big an issue, just be careful of leaving equipment on and having it overheat. I've seen issues with DSLRs overheating in the past, as well as had major issues with overheating REDs. Apart from that though, there shouldn't be too much to worry about - we get much hotter days here in Australia and we shoot fine :)

Also, in a film I shot a couple of years ago we used an undercover cop car, and were able to rent a couple of stick-on antennas, as well as internal flashing lights really cheap. You can also rent the stick-on 'Police' decals quite cheap (ie non-permanent).

The NTG-2 should be fine. The PMD-661 has no moving parts like a DAT or the venerable Nagra reel-to-reel, so it should be okay as well; just keep it out of direct sunlight for extended periods of time.

Why can't it be an unmarked car? You could use a dash light or removable roof light.

tomar-police-light.gif

AAAAAlp_WTgAAAAAASICOQ.png

Cool was a bit worried, didn't know how humidty would affect my gear.

Idk it could be undercover but the main character is a sheriff and i'd like it to say SHeriff on the side and that blue light is something i am using.

Post Production in After Effects. Put a tracking point on the car first, then put the logo/decal on it, and keyframe it as it moves (Or just sits there)

If the car turns, then you'll have to add a 3D effect to it, to make the decal turn with it properly

And it might be easier to actually physically put a tracking point on it, like a piece of noticeable tape in the center of where the decal is supposed to be

Cool was a bit worried, didn't know how humidty would affect my gear.
You're not down South, are ya, in the ubiquitous "USA"?

Yeah, the humidity is a concern when at extremes for extended periods of time.

It's the RAPID wide temperature swings from cooler and drier conditioned spaces into hot and humid natural spaces that'll literally suck moisture INTO even the supposedly airtight spaces of your equipment where it will condense and corrode when the equipment is returned to the cooler conditioned spaces.

The key is to move the sensitive equipment in relatively airtight containers and allow them to warm up DRY slowly and gradually over an hour or so.
Not BAM! Walk outta cold hotel, toss open camera and mic into car back seat, drive for ten minutes in the Gulf of Mexico August 98º w/ 98% humidity open air, set up gear on site, shoot all day ~101º w/ 100% humidity, then pop it all back in the car before tossing it back in your icy 68º 50% humidity hotel overnight.

Yeah.

Don't do that.

Slow.
Easy.
Acclimation.
Cold dry → warm dry → warm wet → warm dry → cold dry.

Google "lens fungus"
http://cameras.about.com/od/keeping_cameras_clean/a/Camera-Lens-Fungus.htm

Last edited:
Hi guys, my shoot is going to be an almost all summer thing expanding well into the month of July. Where I live it can get up to 100 degrees or a little higher fahrenheit. not to mention the humidity especially since I will be filming in the woods.

Where I live, even though we measure in Celsius... =) the big issue is the transition. I will keep everything in their bag/box until they've adjusted when the variance isn't too high. Going from a cool (air conditioned) to warm humid outside, I just make sure it's out side for long enough to warm up some.

We get snow here, and I always put up the electronics/glass in plastic bags before I bring them back inside.

We also get ridiculously humid, and once or twice I've been tempted to wrap it in plastic before taking it out. Sometimes, I'll set it in the garage for a few hours so it can warm up in a less humid environment.

As far as operating is concerned, check your manual; it will provide operating ranges for both temperature and RH.

CraigL

Last edited:
So what do you mean by "Warm up Dry?"
Remove the equipment from a cold dry place, like a house or car, inside a relatively airtight container, like a camera bag or retail box, into the warm humid environment to allow it "warm up dry."
When it's reached the ambient temp air moisture is considerably less likely to condense on the warm surfaces than on otherwise cold surfaces - just like the dry exterior glass of ice water promotes condensation but the dry exterior glass of luke warm water does not.

condense.jpg

Even better! --> http://www.highlightskids.com/science-experiment/mystery-fog

Back