Youtube vs Vimeo

I hope that this is the right forum for a newb like me to ask this question. I wanted to pick the brains of the gurus on hand and maybe they can share some experiences and tips about why they chose the platform they are using.

I imagine the opinions will vary, but I'm looking to upload some content in the near future and any help, opinions, and advice would be appreciated

Thank you.

Vimeo provides a more professional package. If you are an aspiring artist, having a Vimeo page can be beneficial. Without going into details; Vimeo is a place to show original work, unlike Youtube, which will allow just about anything.

Use youtube for commercial work and everything fun you make, and put your most original and best artistic work on Vimeo. Use Vimeo's shoutbox for your uploads and maybe you'll get staff picked (Not really sure if that is the only way though).

There shouldn't be any legal issues. I upload to both, unless my video was below standard and I'll give it a skip on Vimeo. Vimeo tends to be actually for film makers, where as YouTube is a place where your brother can upload that funny cat video...

Vimeo is a much better community, you won't often get d!cks commenting on your video, everything said is generally constructive. But YouTube is easier to earn money.... So I upload to both

I use both. I like Vimeo's overall design and upload quality; however Youtube gets a whole different audience. Don't restrict yourself to just one or the other.

Back