7d & CS3

I don't know if this is the right section but I'm trying to figure out what presets I should set the CS3 to when editing with a 7d. When I finish the editing the videos end up not being 720 or 1080 anymore. I'm just trying to figure out how to set everything before hand to preserve the quality of the files...

You might have to create your own preset, which is fairly easy. Select NEW PRESET, then just select EDITING MODE as "Desktop Mode", then select for VIDEO the codec MPEG4/MP4 with the dimensions of 1920x0180 and the frame rate to match your footage (23.976 or 29.97).

scratch that I compressed the video to h.246 and it was fine but now my issue when I try to edit the video its skipping. How can I fix it where the video file doesn't skip while I edit without losing the quality?

scratch that I compressed the video to h.246 and it was fine but now my issue when I try to edit the video its skipping. How can I fix it where the video file doesn't skip while I edit without losing the quality?

Maybe your computer isn't up to the job of editing in H.264 - it's really a delivery codec and not an editing one. What're your computer's specs?

I'm not editing in h.246 just exporting. Up until now I've been editing all the stuff off my 7d in imovie with no issues whatsoever. But now I've been doing music videos and i would rather use premiere.

Processor 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo
Memory 1 gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I'm using an Imac on 10.5.8 I do plan on upgrading the processor and the memory and getting a new version of premiere but in the meantime I'm just trying to figure out what I can do.

I'm not editing in h.246 just exporting. Up until now I've been editing all the stuff off my 7d in imovie with no issues whatsoever. But now I've been doing music videos and i would rather use premiere.

Processor 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo
Memory 1 gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I'm using an Imac on 10.5.8 I do plan on upgrading the processor and the memory and getting a new version of premiere but in the meantime I'm just trying to figure out what I can do.

Ah okay. What program are you playing the videos back in? Quicktime X has never seemed as snappy as the old Quicktime for me. Are you playing back the video from an internal or external harddrive?

It sounds like you're editing the video in the native DSLR format then? CS3, or any other software besides CS5 at the moment, can't handle that footage. It's super compressed and therefore processor intensive.

The reason it worked in iMovie is because iMovie does this automatically on import. imovie's compression severely lowers quality though.

Try converting the footage to a less compressed file, then edit, then export however you want.

Also, make sure your sequence settings match the video. If it's 720p video in a 1080p timeline then it'll force unnecessary rendering.

I'm filming in 1080p 30p or 24p 1920x1080 what would be a good program to convert with and what would be a good setting to convert it at so it doesn't lose a lot of quality but I will be able to edit it?

Back