3D sports...

Im a videographer and I do some work for the local flat track roller-derby league and I have 2 identical HD cameras and ideas on how to make a mod for my tripod that will hold them in the right postions...does anybody else experiment with these things?

How much do you know about stereography? I wanted to do some DIY stuff with 3d involving old cameras - but that is on the back-burner. Here are two terms that you should get familiar with:

Inter-ocular distance.
Convergence.

IO distance is the linear space between each image sensor. It's ~2.5 inches for normal 3-D work, which replicates the space between the average human eyes.

Convergence is how much of an angle the two cameras point inward, away from parallel. I forget the exact math. Convergence has to be pulled, like focus, in order for objects to correctly appear as 3-d objects rather than as flat planes in 3-d space.

Most 3-D setups with 2 cameras are over/under rigs. Both cameras point to a half-silvered mirror so they receive the same image. This is because the bodies are too large to achieve proper IO distance. With small cameras you might be able to go side by side.

Also, IO distance increases when distance to subject gets really long. I talked to a guy who was experimenting with shooting basketball games in 3-D from the far tops of the bleachers. IO there was somewhere around 9 feet. :wow:

Google is your friend, there is lots of info on 3-D out there right now. Here is an example camera rig so you can see what I mean by over/under.

http://www.pstechnik.de/en/3d-rig.php

product_stereovis_pstechnik_freestyle_250.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, or he could do it with the two cameras he has, really learn how it works, and then do it in the future with both the know-how and nicer gear.

Ostensibly speaking. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, or he could do it with the two cameras he has, really learn how it works, and then do it in the future with both the know-how and nicer gear.

Ostensibly speaking. :D

Well, duhhhhh, thanks for the news-flash, Captain Obvious! :)

Look, we don't know much about darrin, from this short query of his. Does he have the budget to make an effective 3D rig? The time? The interest? Or was this something he was hoping he could just mess around with every now and then for a little fun? We don't know. All I'm doing is making sure he's aware that there is a consumer-level option. Not saying he should give up on exploring the more in-depth technical side, if that's what he's interested in. Nothing wrong with supplying info.

Back