Any 3D Animators?

Hi.

What 3D animation programs do you/have you used? Why do you use them? What are your thoughts and recommendations?

What do you recommend for a noob, from the for-pay to the free options? Insanely priced (though I understand price doesn't matter for pros) options like Maya and LightWave are out of the question...for this noob, anyway. And I suppose I'd need a smarter brain or to go to school to learn those.

One list I've found includes these:

• Poser
  • 3D Studio Max
  • Daz 3D
  • Animation Master
  • Anam8tor
  • 3D Crafter
  • Blender
I see Blender finally has a 64 bit version. Nice. And if anyone's used Poser, I take it that you buy readymade models and parts from Poser and Content Paradise? How does copyright work with that? If you buy it, do you have license(?) to use it, profit from it, and distribute it etcetera in your own films, no problem?

I know Google is my friend. And I'm doing that. But it's daunting. Just wondering if any experienced users have any words of wisdom or advice for a no-nothing noob just starting out.

I'm not primarily a 3D artist, but I've done a bit of it over the years. I've learned and used Poser, Animation Master and Strata, and now primarily use Cinema 4D when I need to do 3D. I've used Blender a bit, but I don't do enough 3D anymore to justify putting in the time to learn it well when I've already got C4D and know how to use it - but if I were just starting now that's probably where I'd start. Blender is free, powerful, and has a huge online community which you can learn from. It seems to have a pretty steep learning curve, but that's par for the course with any fully featured 3D package. Apps like Poser are easier to use, but also not all that powerful for general purpose work - you're probably better off starting with something else if you're interested in 3D animation in general.

I use Maya almost every day. But, in terms of price point blender can't be beat.

If you wish to learn a package that will enable you to get a job in animation, then learn Maya. If you want to do it for fun, and render completed work without buying a full license, get Blender.

Thanks, guys. :) Blender it is. Just installed it. Hope I can manage to accomplish something with it.

Sorry, one more question. :P Do you guys all use a tablet for your 3D work?

Back