I'm going to do it!

sfoster

Staff Member
Life is for the living.
I am going to make a great short film!

The script is 3 pages, and it will take me about a year and a half to shoot.
It's a super hero action comedy

I've also got a separate, one-day crime-thriller set to film on march 9th.

Week one complete.

I must say it feels great to be working towards a masterpiece. It's especially helpful to feel purpose during these trying times. Broke up with my girlfriend last month, she was such a patient and sweet woman. So I'm struggling to accept that I am not datable. I have this terrible effect on women and somehow I drive them to violence. at least i didn't end up with any permanent physical damage this time, but it was pretty damn close so i'll count myself lucky in that regard

I'm already the heaviest I've ever been in my life, so I've been stuffing my face trying to gain another 20-30lbs and an extra chin for the role of Fat White Cop. My mustache is coming in pretty well too.

It's been like a decade since I took any martial arts, but I am training myself now for 2-3 hours a day. Took a break yesterday because I've been constantly sore. I'm definitely on my way to being an old man now.. when I do my dynamic stretches / high kicks my right leg joint kept popping and felt really awkward. I was worried I would have to focus on left side only for this film, but I discovered today if I arc my right leg kicks to the inside/left then the popping stops. I'm quite happy about that, since it means my full training can continue without wearing down my joints

My main concern at this point is establishing a reliable location for the superhero transformation scene.. I have to stop shooting for like a year of intense physical training and gain a superhero physique and then resume shooting. If I lose the location in the middle of that it will screw everything up something awful

Followed this guys advice on dynamic stretching and hurt myself today :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt6YvDaFmPU

I don't care about the pain. What's worse is the mental frustration from this setback. Only a week in and I probably have to rest now for two weeks, losing whatever progress I made.

This is what i get for taking advice off the internet

Licensed massage therapist here.

Dynamic stretching is bad. Only stretch to where you are comfortable, you should feel a stretch but you should not be in pain. Hold your stretch for at least 20 seconds.

Active stretching is better than passive stretching. Meaning, it's typically best not to have someone assisting you in your stretch, ie having someone performing a straight-leg hamstring stretch on you. It's too easy for them to go too far and hurt you (this goes for healthy people, licensed physical therapists working on someone in rehab are a different story and you should always defer to your doctor).

Dynamic stretching is bad. Only stretch to where you are comfortable, you should feel a stretch but you should not be in pain. Hold your stretch for at least 20 seconds.

Active stretching is better than passive stretching. Meaning, it's typically best not to have someone assisting you in your stretch, ie having someone performing a straight-leg hamstring stretch on you. It's too easy for them to go too far and hurt you (this goes for healthy people, licensed physical therapists working on someone in rehab are a different story and you should always defer to your doctor).

Thanks! Wish I could try this PNF stuff that I hear is the most effective, but I don't have anyone to help me. Guess I will be sticking to active and static.. Maybe some very slow and controlled dynamic

Wish I could try this PNF stuff that I hear is the most effective.

What are your goals with this? Are you trying to recover from an injury or just to gain more flexibility?

My PM box if full on here but you can feel free to email me if you want some more specific input (samanthatwoelevens) at (gmail) I don't want to clog up your filmmaking thread with OT stuff.

Extremely useful, thanks for this. Also, slightly surreal given the thread...

In terms of the short, the recommendation is shoot a couple of shorts in-between as there is a huge learning curve. My first short was roundly praised on IndieTalk, given it was my first short. However, compared to what I'm doing now, it sucked. If you want to do something magnificent, do a few 'quick and dirty' shorts in between just to get the skill level up.

Just my $0.02

No worries, this isn't my first rodeo

I've already done one short, it's in post processing.
I have another one schedule for this sunday.

Awesome! Screening room!

It'll be a month or so before it's ready for that ..
One of my actors hasn't been very cooperative for one line I want to add.. but he has a film premiering on the 20th so I will try to get him to say it there.

On a side note.. I emailed dreadlocks and I think I scared her off :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZZYpDFJFlk

Back