DVX100A 24 fps on Pinnacle?

I was just reading some thing out of a B&H catalog about the difference between 24p and 24p Advanced and it confused the hell out of me. The reason I ask is because, although I've discussed buying other cameras, if I wait awhile, I may be able to buy this one next year some time:

For now, I have Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus. Will either of these modes be compatible with Pinnacle via 1394? Is there even a compatibility issue or am I worrying myself because of this confusing little snippet? Which mode is better to use?

Thanks. :yes:

Last edited:
Ok, good questions.

To begin, there are two different 24p modes on the DVX (and XL2 now) designed to be edited with different types of software.

24p has a cadence of 2 frames followed by three. This is designed to be edited in a normal 60i timeline that every NLE has.

Some NLE have the ability to recognize what is known as 24progressive advanced. It's designed so that you can extract the original 24 frames every second to edit at a rate of 24fps. Not all NLEs can remove this "pulldown" though so 24p is also included for maximum compatability.

I do not know if Pinnacle can remove the advanced pulldown.

Yes!

bensmerglia said:
I was just reading some thing out of a B&H catalog about the difference between 24p and 24p Advanced and it confused the hell out of me. The reason I ask is because, although I've discussed buying other cameras, if I wait awhile, I may be able to buy this one next year some time:

For now, I have Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus. Will either of these modes be compatible with Pinnacle via 1394? Is there even a compatibility issue or am I worrying myself because of this confusing little snippet? Which mode is better to use?

Thanks. :yes:

I started out editing with Studio 7 and I get free upgrades to Studio when they become available. In fact, for real small jobs with nothing exotic needed, I will still use it even though I have Final Cut Pro 4.0, Vegas Video 5, and Pinnacle Liquid Edition. From time to time I will shoot a wedding for a friend and use Studio to do it...

Anyway... I have a DVX-100A and Studio 9 works well with it.

filmy

bensmerglia said:

I can't speak for the PC people, but if you have some sort of access to Apple's CineTools, that would do it. It would convert your footage into true 24fps (23.98 actually)

Well there are two 24P modes, the basic one is just a 2:3 pulldown I believe.. . (regular DV is 3:2). The advanced is a 2:3:3:2 pulldown. The patter would be something like this (AA BB BC CC DD) those are 5 frames and are recorded at 29.97 frames. Cinetools converts it to 24fps by removing that middle frame and correctly spacing out the frames to fill 24 frames ever second. oh, and be sure you import your footage correctly. To make it easy to convert all your footage you'd want each imported clip's timecode to start on a 0 or 5 frame (00, 05, 10, 15, etc) cause the way the camera works, the pulldown sequence begins on 0s and 5s, and the software assumes all your footage starts on the first frame of the pulldown sequence. Could save some frusteration. Hope that helps! Let me know if some stuff doesn't make sense.

Back