• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Rescoring Big Buck Bunny - work in progress

Hi!

New to the forum... is it ok to post a work in progress here? I'd like to get feedback from the ladies and gentlemen here - especially from non-musicians (directors, editors, the like).

I'm currently rescoring the animated short Big Buck Bunny (2008). I've added in a tiny bit of ambient sound and some of the sound effects, although I'll be adding/redoing/finessing that later.

[url]https://youtu.be/SV6LjhbDYLA[/URL]

Obviously you haven't finished the audio design so are you asking for
feedback about the score?

Yes, that is correct - asking for feedback on the score. Perhaps I should lead with some possible questions:

• Does it support the story for you?
  • Do the virtual instruments sound especially real/fake anywhere?
  • Does it seem like too much music? (Hard to judge w/o sound effects, perhaps)

The virtual instrument sounds sure are getting better. I didn't
notice any point where it sounded fake. The horns as Buck
comes out of his burrow sound particularly real.

I've done a lot of spotting sessions. But never for animation.
The score does seem overbearing at times but I know that
with animation more music is used than in live action. As a
fan of Carl Stalling I appreciate the cues tied directly to the
action on the screen - mickeymousing.

Yeah, glad you noticed the Stalling-ness :). I was studying a book on the history of cartoon music when I started this, so that had a huge influence on it.

It's an odd film to talk about balance, I guess - there's no dialogue. I've been working on the remainder of it and am definitely finding that I need to pull back the music in places. (Will upload eventually. My wife had a baby last week so we're a wee bit busy) :D

Back