Don't have a US or European citizenship, how do I break into the Hollywood industry?

Hi, I'm new here. Nice to meet fellow film artists!! First, I want to apologize if this is the wrong section to post this. I'm still not very clear as to how the forums work, I'll try my best. ... haha let's get on with this.

I'm from an Asian country but I want to direct and write for films in, if possible, Hollywood in the future. I'm aware that this is the dream of many and I'm willing to work my way up and start with making indie films and send them to the Sundance or other festivals but will the top film festivals even accept my movie entry since I'm not a us or European citizen? I am a quarter European on my mother's side but only in blood as my citizenship is completely Malaysian. The reason I want to make movies for the international market is because 1) I don't think the Asian market will enjoy my westernized films, 2) I want to reach a large audience, 3) I believe I have the skills and ability and character necessary to go international. I have had mentors and local film insiders say that my type of work is not fit for local audience. Even if I started local against all odds, name me a single Malaysian film that actually got any recognition even if it's good?

I want constructive criticism only. I am sure that I can and have the ability and skills necessary to make it, or at least I'm willing to learn, so please don't be discouraging or say things like 'you're too stuck up/ full of yourself etc)', if I really am stuck up and unrealistic, then let me learn that myself.
I write a variety of genre from science fiction to tragedies but so far I'm focusing on the wide range of the drama genre.

Thanks for any replies, I really appreciate it. I hope to one day make films that will give people hope and inspiration for God knows the world needs it. :yes: good luck to all your pursuits as well!!

Here are some ideas: (you'll have to research, I'm not an immigration expert)
1.Make a really great film in Malaysia, so great that Hollywood will take notice, like Kurosawa did with Rashomon, & Bruce Lee with The Big Boss, etc.
2.Make really great films, then contact Hollywood companies & try to get them to sponsor you with a work visa. You must be exceptional for this to happen.
3.Marry a U.S. citizen & get any job you can in Hollywood, even at the bottom.

Last edited:
Do what I am doing:

Make a feature film- forget the camera type, forget the dreams of a release night premiere party where you wear a tux and sip the best wine.......Write a screenplay, or ask someone else to write. Horror is in, write a story with somewhat varied locations which you can scout for free or very cheap. Best bit about being an indie filmmaker is you work around the problems of money.

Logistically scout people: Actors, sound guy, DoP, anyone who is also starting out and can be bought for cheap or very less(I am paying guys with shares in the film's earnings).

Pre Production: Sit on this for months and work this out. No need to shoot for one month....Shoot for 12-15 days. Post production is where all the money is spent son good luck with that.

Make a feature and try to get a ticket to a hub in America or Europe from where you can send your feature to other horror fests. Also study the online market and how it is done,

It is all about planning my friend. I have had friends who update and buy the latest cameras but no use of the cameras if there is no plan or a screenplay.

P.S- I am coming to Malaysia for the Formula 1 grand Prix on the 1st of October. If you have a screenplay or something show me, I am a producer looking for content.

Rishi

Here are some ideas: (you'll have to research, I'm not an immigration expert)
1.Make a really great film in Malaysia, so great that Hollywood will take notice, like Kurosawa did with Rashomon, & Bruce Lee with The Big Boss, etc.
2.Make really great films, then contact Hollywood companies & try to get them to sponsor you with a work visa. You must be exceptional for this to happen.
3.Marry a U.S. citizen & get any job you can in Hollywood, even at the bottom.

Thanks much Buscando. Best of luck to you in your persuits.

Do what I am doing:

Make a feature film- forget the camera type, forget the dreams of a release night premiere party where you wear a tux and sip the best wine.......Write a screenplay, or ask someone else to write. Horror is in, write a story with somewhat varied locations which you can scout for free or very cheap. Best bit about being an indie filmmaker is you work around the problems of money.

Logistically scout people: Actors, sound guy, DoP, anyone who is also starting out and can be bought for cheap or very less(I am paying guys with shares in the film's earnings).

Pre Production: Sit on this for months and work this out. No need to shoot for one month....Shoot for 12-15 days. Post production is where all the money is spent son good luck with that.

Make a feature and try to get a ticket to a hub in America or Europe from where you can send your feature to other horror fests. Also study the online market and how it is done,

It is all about planning my friend. I have had friends who update and buy the latest cameras but no use of the cameras if there is no plan or a screenplay.

P.S- I am coming to Malaysia for the Formula 1 grand Prix on the 1st of October. If you have a screenplay or something show me, I am a producer looking for content.

Rishi

I can't make horror- I don't have the stomach for it. Thanks, your answer has helped a lot. I may contact you, I hope you'll find Malaysia to your taste. It is a nice enough country. Good luck in your persuits, friend.

Science Fiction?
I'm sure if you make a Time Travel movie and find some good form of online distribution than we will all eat it up. The great thing about Time Travel is you can make some pretty cheap props and call it a time machine. Time Travel is always interesting.

You have a couple things going for you that could interest the world, an exotic location, and a unique point of view.

A couple things you should keep in mind
1) Think of all the places and locations you have access to and write your story about that
2) Sundance is a great goal, but you might want to think more about distribution than accolades. If more people see your work than it is more likely you can make future films with higher budgets. Definitely go for Sundance too.
3) Peter Jackson made Lord of the Rings, but he made Bad Taste first. Sam Raimi made the first Spider-man movie, but he made Evil Dead first. Many big budget directors start off as low budget directors.

A Few Movies to Watch
1) Back to the Future Series (watch these they're fantastic)
2) Primer (an example of a no budget time travel movie, probably requires multiple viewings to understand)
3) The Time Machine. Any version will do. They're all enjoyable
4) The Terminator
5) Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel (a British time travel movie set entirely in a bar)
6) Looper. This movie may be big budget, but I think most of the money went to actors. This same movie could have been on the cheap if needed.
7) Predestination. Mind Bending Scifi. Based off of a short story.
8) Midnight in Paris (could be a good inspiration for a Time Travel movie...I would kinda like to see what a Malaysian version of this would be like.
9)Time After Time (an excellent time travel movie) The Time Travelers are from the past and at present time. Which would allow you to save a bunch of money. It is essentially a fish out of water tale.
10) Groundhog Day. A movie that was filmed in its contemporary time.
11) !2 Monkeys
12) Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

That's not to say you couldn't make any other Sci-fi type movies, but I think starting out, and on a low budget, it could be a good type of movie to make.

Also, you should watch a lot of other directors first movies. Here's a list of some movies that I really liked that were directors first movies.

1) El Mariachi. Filmed by a 23 year old Robert Rodriguez on a $7000 budget. Robert Rodriguez raised $7000 by taking part in a clinical drug trial. He had access to a town and filmed entirely there.
2) Clerks. A low budget comedy film set almost entirely at a convenience store.
3) Reservoir Dogs. Tarantino's first movie set almost entirely in a warehouse. Check out Hateful 8 too.
4) Evil Dead. Sam Raimi's first feature film set in a cabin in the woods.
5) Saw. Not actually his first film. But still it's great and it's set almost entirely in one room. James Wan is of Malaysian descent.
6) Cabin Fever. Eli Roth's first film. Set entirely at an isolated cabin.
7) Duel. Stephen Spielberg's first film. It takes place on the Highway. It's about a man being pursued by a Trucker.
8)Following. Christopher Nolan's first film. The budget is probably $6000.
9) Last House on the Left
10)Primer. On another List because it is an effective use of budget and distribution.
11) Blair Witch. This movie was big when it came out. Set entirely in the woods.
12) Paranormal Activity. Set entirely in somebodies house. It made 100s of millions of dollars, and cost nothing to make.
13) Monsters. A road movie. It is now relatively simple to make a giant monster movie with some special effects and intelligent camera use.

Also, some directors started off making short films. This approach might be over-saturated at the moment though. Still worth a try.
Neil Blomkamp. Live From Joburg turned into District 9. His other shorts turned in to Chappie and Elysium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnxP7e7-YA&list=PLcG9uojq3xLEFTCjX10mHyH_E4NSjcP6a&index=1

Fede Alvarez.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk
This approach seems to work if you are also technically talented.

and one other thing to keep in mind

JUST DO IT! Don't let anything stop you or discourage you.

Last edited:
Back