Thinking about turning down studio distribution deal...

I recently finished my first film. A horror film entitled The Perfect House. We crowd funded the project and have gotten pretty lucky with people we've met along the way.

The success of the film and a little luck we've made connections in Hollywood that have us in direct contact with the decision makers of studios like Lionsgate and Universal. If we sell our movie we are most likely looking at a deal of 1-2 million. TOPS.

Which on the surface sounds great, but after all the people along the way get their taste there's not much left and more than likely no more coming no matter how good the film does.

I had planned on the self distribution route before we ever had the contacts so I am definitely not afraid of it. In fact I believe in it more than ever in light of Kevin Smith's speech at Sundance and Open letter at www.theredstatements.com stating his intentions with his new film.

I am thinking of spurning the distributors in favor of a planned VOD release date. Say October 1st and we spend the next 8 months doing screenings and independent film seminars/Q&A promoting the release date. Before we ever shot the film we received a ton of free press on many of the popular horror sites. With a finished project to show it should be even easier to get them on board for promoting our release.

Kevin Smith says he's determined to prove you can market with nothing more than social media, easy to say when you already used the system to create the fan base. I say it can be done by a total unknown making it real for everyone.

My question is this does anyone agree with me? And are you willing to support the cause?

Why did this thread get bumped? I was going to read it until I saw the date and the OP got banned.

There is a popular addage that football coaches like to use.

Let's say you just scored a touchdown. You kick the extra point, but the defense goes offsides. So now, you've got the ball the 1-and-a-half yardline, instead of the 3, and that's a big difference. You've got a strong running game; you could very likely run the ball in for a two-point-converstion, instead of the one-point P.A.T. you just kicked.

The coaching addage is this -- Never take points off the board. You've already scored the extra point. You keep the extra point you just scored.

This is actually correct but incorrect. Cracker's point is right because this is almost always what coaches do, but the adage itself is wrong because it's mathematically correct to go for 2 in this situation, and it increases the team's chance of victory.

So it's kind of funny how paid professionals making millions of dollars are capable of making poor decisions that increase their expected rate of failure, because the risk of being second-guessed when they are wrong outweighs the praise they receive when they are right.

Why did this thread get bumped? I was going to read it until I saw the date and the OP got banned.

It got bumped because the OP finally got a DVD distribution.... most likely for no where near $1-$2 million, including the VOD. I still find it respectable for anyone to get a real distribution deal, especially in today's market.

It got bumped because the OP finally got a DVD distribution.... most likely for no where near $1-$2 million, including the VOD. I still find it respectable for anyone to get a real distribution deal, especially in today's market.

Gotta say, Sonny, every new damn post you make makes me gain even more respect for you. You really took the high road with a lot of crap piled on you.

Gotta say, Sonny, every new damn post you make makes me gain even more respect for you. You really took the high road with a lot of crap piled on you.

Don't know if I deserve such praise, but thanks. Really, me laughing at the incredible stupidity of these phone calls really doesn't qualify as the "high road"...

These guys get really weird about posts with opinions on the Internet. It's hard to take them seriously - until they start getting truly terrifying with statements like "I make horror films so I don't kills scumbags like you in real life." That whole phone call was in response to this very thread.

Back