• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Monopod vs Tripod

Pros and cons of each. Ideally I want something cheap yet effective, however I wouldn't mind paying more if monopods blow tripods away.

GO!

Monopods are more useful if you have to shoot really quickly on the move and potentialy don't have time to set up a tripod. If you want an actual locked down camera feel you'll probably need to go with a tripod, however if you fold the legs in it works as a monopod basically anyway...

If you shoot a narrative, have a script and time, it has to be a tripod. For some documentaries, I'd buy a monopod. That is if you have to travel light, go all over the place and no time to set up a tripod!

i would perferr tripod all day every day. i would perferr to use a shoulder rig instead of a monopod as well to be honest. i have used one ocassionally, but... my take is on tripods

i would like to suggest invest on good tripod because with 80bucks it's only a matter of time until you cannot pan and tilt due to instability and loose joints. you need a fluid movement for panning and tilting.

but if you can't help it, i suggest you buy Velbon PH 368 or any velbon fluid head. they're cheaper but i tested them good.

I was originally about to buy PH 368 fluid head but i decided to go for manfrotto 190 xprob with 128RC head because i see it as investment and i dont have to worry about unsmooth panning and tilting.

i would like to suggest invest on good tripod because with 80bucks it's only a matter of time until you cannot pan and tilt due to instability and loose joints. you need a fluid movement for panning and tilting.

but if you can't help it, i suggest you buy Velbon PH 368 or any velbon fluid head. they're cheaper but i tested them good.

I was originally about to buy PH 368 fluid head but i decided to go for manfrotto 190 xprob with 128RC head because i see it as investment and i dont have to worry about unsmooth panning and tilting.

So it seems to be the consensus that it's worth investing on a more expensive tripod.

Well, it's settled. I shall invest in a good tripod.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Basically figured out in this business/hobby anything worth a crap starts at $500. decent tripod, starts at $500. Decent monitor, starts at $500. Decent follow focus, starts at $500. That's the entry point for anything remotely "pro" of course you can spend $2k for $3k on a tripod, monitor, matte box, etc...

Back