Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Never miss one.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Depends on who's nominated.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • UGH YUCK Get it out of here!

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
I just thought I'd see how many of you folks are watchers of hollywood's big popularity contest.

I'm a sucker for award shows so I certainly don't miss the oscars. But I gotta say the Tony's are my fav by far, and the Emmy's this last time were surprisingly entertaining.

Anyways, are you gonna watch? Have you seen any of the films and do you have any picks?

No I don't watch.
No I haven't seen any of the flicks.
I haven't even heard of most of them.

I used to like to watch the Oscars when movies were worth the money. As time passed the Oscars were all about the gowns and what name brand prom dress the actress was wearing.

Now its all about brands. Actors are bought and sold to the highest bidder of designers. Movies are won based on who they know and who likes them best. Then again, its a great big extravaganza to celebrate themselves. The public doesn't have a say in who is chosen and who wins. What do we know anyway?

So no. I would rather watch sesame street thankyou.

^a little one sided are we?

Although it's true that there have been many selections that make most people wonder how they won, it's still not what makes the most money or what film was liked the most. Slumdog over Darkknight?

Now its all about brands.

It never evolved into that.

It's always been like that.
:secret:

Heh, as far as the Oscars - Why ain't Where The Wild Things Are gettin' any love? :no:

Animated Feature has several great choices. Can't pick a fave.

Heh, just saw Documentary actually has two categories - Feature & Short. Interesting.

I still haven't seen Precious (can't believe I missed that one), but hope that does well. :cool:

Meanwhile, I'll be going to a couple of parties for the event - pretending to be important is very important, around here. :lol:

Edit: ...and seriously, how relevant is the Oscars when they fail to even give a nod to Slices - The Film?
smiley_colbert.gif

Heh.

Last edited:
I don't care for it. Rather watch hockey. I rarely see the films I like nominated for anything serious. Besides, I don't need the Academy telling me what films are great. Last time I checked that's why I have an opinion. And some films that have been nominated and one are just utter crap when I actually sat down to watch them. I'm looking at you, Coen Bros.

It reminds me of popularity contests in High School.

Anyway, I'm going to try to watch them because I like them.

The only awards I care about are the Sound editing/mixing:

My vote is for Avatar to win best sound mixing and Transformers for sound editing.

It reminds me of popularity contests in High School.

Anyway, I'm going to try to watch them because I like them.

The only awards I care about are the Sound editing/mixing:

My vote is for Avatar to win best sound mixing and Transformers for sound editing.

Yeah the only ones that will catch my eye would be the screenwriting segment (because I'm a screenwriter) and the best score segment (I have a soft spot for scores).

But yeah it mostly is a popularity contest which is probably why The Reader sneaked in last year. I just wish that instead of narrowing it down to five or ten or whatever semifinalists, they should just look at the movies released that year and simply pick the best for that category. And that film wins.

Yeah - I totally agree with you Lord of Light.

Who remembers when Billy Crystal came down onto the stage the year Titanic swept the oscars - he came down on a set piece that looked like the bow of the Titanic.

I wonder if the hosts this year will walk out with blue paint on their bodies and funny ears and such.

I will watch this year, especially as Steve Martin is a cohost. I also liked AVATAR, HURT LOCKER, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS and DISTRICT 9. This year's selection are less artsy fartsy than usual! Sorry, but I'm not much for artsy fartsy. Check the LINK at the bottom to see just how artsy fartsy the past few years have been. My favorite year was when SILENCE OF THE LAMBS won.

Money makers are rarely a shoo in, as I recall:

ANNIE HALL beat STAR WARS (wtf) :grumpy:
CHARIOTS OF FIRE beat RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (wtf!) :grrr:
GHANDI beat ET (wtf!!) :tongue:
SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE beat SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (wtf!!!) :censored:
AMERICAN BEAUTY beat THE SIXTH SENSE
A BEAUTIFUL MIND beat LORD OF THE RINGS

I didn't care that much about the remake of TITANIC, but my favorite James Cameron movies (ALIENS, TERMINATOR 2) didn't even get nominated for directing or feature. I think it's a case of living long enough and doing consistently great work that allows that kind of recognition to at least catch up to you. TITANIC may not have been his best work, but Cameron is deserving in a lot of respects.

As for awards shows, I think they are very important. If we don't have some kind of barometer, we are just a bunch of people shouting over each other for attention. At the very least, you can say that a nominee is usually good in whatever category it is in. Maybe not the best, but you know it's up there. Some winners - Rick Baker is definitely a great makeup artist, as Anthony Hopkins is definitely a great actor, as John Williams is definitely a great composer, etc, etc. Get my point?

Here is an interesting list that spans the years:

Best Pictures and Nominees

i would watch if i had cable. as for seeing the films: I'm headed out to see avatar right now. I swore I wouldnt.. but if it really might take best film (oh god i hope not) then I want to see what everyone thought was so great. but i'm not very excited... at least we're seeing it in 3d.

i hope inglorious basterds wins everything!

...and seriously, how relevant is the Oscars when they fail to even give a nod to Slices - The Film?

The Academy is holding out for when the give you a Lifetime Achievement Award for Most Cinematic Auteur.

Wow - the Academy really hates fantasy movies - hence the snub on Avatar tonight.

No because Avatar was a cliched film, with a cliched plot, with cliched dialogue by cliched characters. Other than the impressive effects and the (pot induced?) imagination behind those effects, there really wasn't much to the film. It was all one big gimmick.

I was surprised that it made it this far. Goes to show you that money does buy a nomination.

I never saw Avatar. But didn't really want to.
I'm not big on the CGI dominated movies. Sometimes they do a good job.
Usually it does not look real. Watching the Avatar trailers and such,
I got the feeling that I was watching a video game, not a movie.

Perhaps the Academy did not want to have to show a reel of Best Picture winners
50 years from now, with the technology we will have at that time, and have
the best picture be a film that looks like...Avatar.

I was sure they would win just because of the money. I never trust the Oscars.

That said, the Hurt Locker was not my cup of tea either. Just a propaganda piece.
I think the propaganda part is why it won so many awards.

I just thought I'd see how many of you folks are watchers of hollywood's big popularity contest.

This trivializes it just a bit.

I watch the Academy Awards simply because I'm interested in film, but I think the only industry folks who genuinely take them seriously are the producers - because of the publicity factor - and the media, who make obscene amounts of money off of the associated hype and advertising. It's less a popularity contest - let's face it, film distribution itself is a popularity contest - than a spectacle designed to keep the general population interested in going to the movies. Not a bad thing, in my opinion as a filmmaker.

I think people in the industry take much more seriously the awards given by their various guilds, because those come directly from their peers. That said, the Best Director and several other awards are very often the same for both the guilds and the Academy. If you don't agree with their choices, join a guild and get a vote ;) .

Back