• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch After The Rain - Short Film About Distorted Reality

After The Rain is dramatic short film about a man stranded in his thoughts and struggling with his daily routine, finds himself doubting what he knows to be his reality after a series of strange déjà vu experiences cause an existential crisis

The short film was shot in an intense/rain-filled 3 day shoot in the older European-charmed streets of Montreal, Canada. Produced with close to no-budget ‘After The Rain’ was filmed with a Nikon D7000. The short required months of careful CGI and special effects work to recreate the constant drizzle and dream-like feel throughout the movie.

http://vimeo.com/40104084

Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/marcoluca_

Last edited:
I just watched it. Great job. I thought it was well done. I thought at times voiceover could have been done better other than that it was really good. I got kind of depressed listening to the narrative after awhile. Anyways, it was well done and trippy at the end. I liked what you did. It reminded me of Fight Club not sure why. Maybe because the guy seemed depressed sort of like the beginning of Fight Club. There was nothing wrong with what was said in the narrative I was just thinking that it could have maybe been performed better at certain parts. It just sounded like a guy reading a page at times.

I liked the visuals of the guy walking in the street and the rain was well done. Not sure if the pacing could be speeded up or not but I would maybe liked it a little faster if possible. I just found my attention waning. I am tired and near going to bed so maybe I am not the best judge of that.

I keep on thinking it would be nice if there was a nice looking lady somewhere in this footage. Maybe I am just thinking of Fight Club but you need someone like Marla in there maybe.

I was thinking it would have been neat if you had a shot where a car drives by a curb during the raining and the tire throws water in the air and gets someone wet. You know someone near a side walk near a curb and car drives by at the wrong time and hits it just right. Drenching the person nearby. That would have been neat.

Would be interesting if a girl the main character flirts with earlier finds him after he is hit with the car and cry. Like he almost met this wonderful woman and had a date but now his luck run out. Just a thought. I like what you got for a short film so far just thinking of things you could do to maybe improve it.

Watch my older short film 'What If' featured on FilmShortage.com

http://filmshortage.com/?shorts=what-if

I watched 'What If' too. It was very well done. I really enjoyed that one. Really made you think after seeing the ending. I like the sound effect of the camera taking fast photos when you showed the photos in the future showing box. Pretty neat concept you had there. Kind would have been cool seeing the cops show up to the crime scene and then latter them throwing him in a straight jacket in a padded room. That would have been pretty sweet. Maybe show the court verdict of locking him up for insanity.

Last edited:
rockerrockstar thank you for your sincere thoughts on our short film. Glad you got the Fight Club feel to it, we had mentioned it while scripting that it was the type of general feeling we wanted.

I do agree that adding little detailed shots here and there would of helped on the attention span, but we believed that having a story turn because of a sexy woman would of been something thats been done thousands of times.

After finishing the film its easy to see 'what could of been done' and 'added' to the scenes, but this is the great thing about short films; you learn from each experience, and next short you will make sure these little extra things are present.

Thank you for watching 'What If' as well. That was a fun project also, the original script was a little longer and had planned for shots like that. But since it was a school project and were limited on budget and only 10 hours of shooting, and not to mention only 10 mins of film available (including outtakes), we had to cut down on scene and in the end we came down to the bare essentials.

EXCITING NEWS!! Our short film is an official selection for the NSI Online Short Film Festival!! More details to follow!

After the Rain was excellent. I thought it was well crafted, the style and look fit the tone and feel perfectly and overall the visual style you have shown is really well done.

I look forward to seeing your future projects!

Thank you Rodney! Wish people would leave comments like this on vimeo or our webpage!
We really appreciate every compliment and criticism alike!

Oh cool! I saw this linked a few days ago elsewhere.

Cool little short, yup, though that random effect at 1:02 felt really forced. Like they'd just seen the Video Copilot how-to and had to work it in somehow. Dug it, overall. :)

That's what I'd said about it earlier.

At any rate... since you are here on the forum... why did you do that effect specifically? :)

That scene was actually planned in the first version of the script over 10 years ago. I remember trying test shots to create those effects, but without the technology and ability it was impossible for me back then, along with other effects and complications, that was the reason that the script sat on the shelf for 10 years. After I finally decided to create the film, the tutorial on Video Copilot did help me out.

Why is that scene in the movie? I wanted the main character to go through hallucinations, and get stuck so deep into it that he can see people's emotions. The demon was a way for him to snap out of it momentarily. The demon was also supposed to have more meaning in the film, but we had to cut that part out due to over complications.

Back