Submitting to Amazon Direct Video a complete waste of time?

Has anyone tried submitting their video to this worthless service? I've done a lot of filmmaking and submitted to a multitude of festivals and everything, and yet I can't get a single video to be accepted by Amazon Direct Video. Trying to compete with YouTube? They can't even compete with Vimeo.

So my advice to anyone that has heard of the new Streaming Video Submission site "Amazon Direct Video" is to stay the heck away, I have spent so many hours the past couple days trying to get one single video accepted, nah, they won't hardly accept literally anything....

I don't know but I don't think so. The CC file is time based, not frame based.

This is all the technical info they provide for your video: https://videocentral.amazon.com/home/help?topicId=201973700

"All the 608-standard caption file specifications (which includes the .scc file) were created with the assumption that the framerate is 29.97 fps (this spec is independent from CaptionSync)." [https://support.automaticsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/202844115-Frame-rates-and-Broadcast-outputs]

But...my questions aren't specifically for Amazon, just for SCC in general since I am now required to deliver that to a distributor for potentially multiple platforms.

You will submit matching files for both video and scc. If your video is 30fps, your scc should be 30fps. If your video is 29.97, your scc files should be 29.97. As long as they match, you're good to go.

You will submit matching files for both video and scc. If your video is 30fps, your scc should be 30fps. If your video is 29.97, your scc files should be 29.97. As long as they match, you're good to go.

Ok, thanks, that's what my distributor indicated. But now the frustrating part is it seems like none of the third party services offer nonstandard SCC (or at least not advertised). Rev only does 29.97. UPDATE: looks like 3PlayMedia might do that.

Last edited:
I once needed to change the frame rate of some subtitles, and I found a free "frame rate subtitle converter" online. I converted a 30fps to a 29.97fps, but you should be able to convert to 23.98 as well. So you could convert your original FILM to an MP4, 29.97fps and send to Rev for captioning. When you get your captions back, simply convert your 29.97 captions to 23.98 with the converter, and they will match your original film. Unfortunately, I no longer have the converter or I'd give you the link.

I once needed to change the frame rate of some subtitles, and I found a free "frame rate subtitle converter" online. I converted a 30fps to a 29.97fps, but you should be able to convert to 23.98 as well. So you could convert your original FILM to an MP4, 29.97fps and send to Rev for captioning. When you get your captions back, simply convert your 29.97 captions to 23.98 with the converter, and they will match your original film. Unfortunately, I no longer have the converter or I'd give you the link.

That's not a bad idea. I'm going to give a crack at making my own captions file since I already have the dialogue list (just need to add non-dialogue captions).

Back