Simulated running over body -shot is from Driver's POV

Hi everyone,

I'm shooting a scene soon for a short film that involves the main character running over someone in her car. The shot is going to be on the character driving, as she drives forward and keeps driving. I need to have a way to make the car move up and down like she's running over someone's head/body. Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to do this? Ideally with an item/object that won't cut my tires.

Thanks!

if it's a pov shot maybe you can just move the camera up and down.
when they filmed star trek enterprise getting hit by a photon torpedo they didn't shake the entire set. they just shook the camera.

or maybe you can find somewhere with a speed bump.

That's no fun we want realism here. You won't get that effect if you just shake the camera up and down in a car. The speed bump idea is not a bad one, but there's no guarantee that there would be one where he is shooting for continuity.

It won't look any different whether you just smack the camera or actually hit something.

What'll sell it the most is the sound effect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am leaning towards that sandbag idea, a really large sandbag. It will produce that effect and not ruin my car. I know the camera movement could work with the right sound and even some post camera work, but the sandbag will give a good practical look which I always try to do when possible. We are going to cut to the aftermath of what she did, I have a great effects guy that created a mold of the actor's head and we're going to see the gruesome aftermath, but the running over will be important to making the audience go "yikes." Both the shock of what's off screen and then seeing the aftermath should be equally skirmish.

Speed bump is a good idea too, but yeah won't be one in the parking lot we're filming. If no other ideas present themselves, sandbag is a good idea. What's the best place to buy one? Home Depot?

Thanks again

What'll sell it the most is the sound effect.

exclamation.jpeg

It won't look any different.

That's what i'm thinking.
If it were me I would run a test and do the speed bump, then try to imitate it with my hand before investing in any sandbags.

OP it's still a practical effect if you're moving the camera manually..
it ceases to be a practical effect if you do this effect digitally.

I understand the desire to go for realism and that's what a test is for, I have a feeling you will not be able to distinguish between the two in an end product and that's what really matters.

The sandbags made for stacking into flood barriers etc. are like $1.50 for 50 lbs. of sand, just make sure the ends are sealed up good, I'd use a zip tie. For a few bucks, it will work.

Local hardware stores or building supply stores have. You could also buy the sand and fill a duffel bag or whatever. Sand is cheap.

I agree, Quality's idea is the best. Just remember to tweak the size, thickness, and width of the sandbag to match the body and the effect you're looking for. Running over my bony ass wouldn't shake the camera as much as running over Andre the Giant.

The idea is achieving the effect and protecting your tires and undercarriage however. Sandbag = pretty harmless and even one will give the right effect with the correct sound fx.

Back